Cattle Panel Question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by AllWolf, Oct 26, 2006.

1. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

This is like a cattle panel math question. Me and my DD went out to measure our new land for cattle panel to make a buck pen big and we measure out 300 feet so the cattle panels are 16 feet long and we fingure to get 18 to 19 but how many T post would we need to cover that distance plus there will be trees also. Can you help me fingure out how many 6 Foot T-Post I would need.

Thanks for the help..

Oh some of the trees will be like 4 to 6 foot apart.. :)

2. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I think that you will need at least one t-post in the center between each pannel. This will give you a post in the center of each pannel. This will give you a t-post every 8 ft. Not sure about the amount of trees that you can use as posts, but You would just double the amount of t-posts per amount of pannels. One on one end of the pannel, one in the middle and one on the other end of your pannel which would also connect the next pannel. If you have 19 pannels I would get about 40 t-posts. You will need a couple extra for gates. Stock pannels also make nice gates. Cut how wide you want you gate leaving a few of the horizonal pieces. Leave just a little of the cattle pannel sticking out past your t-post and bend about 4 of the horizonal pieces that are to be used as your gate around the pannel sticking past your t-post. Cut the other horizonal pieces off. A short piece of pipe is very good for bending these pieces which act like hinges for your gate. Hope I didn't lose you. I have a number of these gates. One cattle pannel wil make 4 nice gates at a fraction of the cost of those store bought ones. I let my doors overlap the pannel just a little and use those clips that hook on both ends that clip the door shut. Good luck

3. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

I buy a couple of cable clamps for hinges. Use a recipricating saw to cut whatever gate length you want. Works well.

4. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

Simple, you will want a post on each end of a panel, and one in the center, they are 16feet long, so a post every eight feet. 300 feet divided by 8 equals 37.5. You do not want half a post, but just buy 40 posts, since having a couple extra always comes in handy. 6 foot t posts cost $2.98 each around here. Of course, you might be able to lower that number, since you said you were going to use trees. Personally, I try to keep extra things like T posts around the place, since I never know when they'll come in handy.

5. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Thanks for the help. I really mean it