Cattle in 3rd trimester

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by landlord, Sep 12, 2004.

1. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

My cattle will be running on cornstalks in October if the corn decides to mature to be able to harvest it. Will they need more protein for their gestation which are due in the middle of Dec. One is a first heifer but large boned. Just checking to see if the feed will cause huge calves which I am trying to avoid.

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

The cornstalks have plenty of calories but are lacking in protien and minerals. With the cows that far along you could put out free choice loose mineral and give them protien blocks, or the protien tubs. The calves will be stronger, but I can't say whether they will have a larger frame which makes birthing more dificult. New calves going into the winter need as good a start as possible, and a mother that will give a good supply of milk.

3. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Get a tub of Crystalyxx or such....about 28% protein should get you in good shape. Frame will depend on your breeding. Oct is getting to your latest point as far as getting their condition up to snuff. Do you score your cattle? What are they at now?

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/ansci/beef/as1026w.htm

4. landlord

Opus, what is scoring?
    I also plan on setting up the Knipco, in case I need it. I may have a friend weld me some good free standing gates to partition each one off. The pastures are getting more scarce but are still growing with the recent rains, 3" past 2 days. It was in the 70's over night and that will help make up for the cool August we had which will make the grasses grow and the corn finish out.

5. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Check out the link I posted above, that will explain it to you.

6. landlord

Opus, I would say they would score 8 ish... Thanks