cattle guards

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by T Glade, Jan 2, 2005.

1. T Glade

T Glade Guest

Just wondering if a cattle guard would keep in sheep also.
    Thanks.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The kind of gate you drive over?

3. T Glade

T Glade Guest

Ross, Yes the ones that are set in the ground and you just drive over them. We have forty acres with a driveway cutting threw the middle with our house in the very back. Would like to let the sheep graze the entire property but don't like the thought of opening a gate every time we leave.
    Thanks for any info

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Seems to me there was an article in t he paper about "comando" sheep learning to roll over a similar gate in England! Bet its a rare thing not an everyday problem. They make some that spring up and, so I've read, work well. I keep meaning to try something like that as I hate opening gates too!

5. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Yes, cattle stops work equally as well for sheep as they do cattle and are a good investment for both. Also saves a lot of heartache if somebody forgets to close the gate and you get up in the morning to find the garden devastated :(
    We are in a similar position to you and as soon as time and money allows, will be installing one.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

I actually saw a video of it. The sheep would get a running start, jump, and dive headlong onto the ground, (they are built for ramming things after all) and then roll over their backs and get up running. The guy thought it was cute, and didn't put up a proper fence and withing a couple days the whole herd was doing it