cattle guard installation?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bbbuddy, Jan 17, 2005.

1. bbbuddy

bbbuddy Well-Known Member

Hi, we have an opportunity to get a really nice, heavy duty used 14' cattle guard for only $350.00, to replace a barbed wire gate we have to pass through to our property.

Does anyone know how they are supposed to be installed?
    I have done multiple online searches and am coming up dry...
    do we dig a 14' hole, how deep??, and then put in two concrete "walls" in the hole front and back (or on sides??) to hold the cattle guard? Or can it just be set right on the ground over the hole with no concrete?

Please, need "best practices" advice...
    thanks, maddy

2. centexguy

centexguy Well-Known Member

You need basically a rectagular open ended concrete box poured about 18 inches or so deep where your guard is level with the ground. pour a small ramp on each end going down below the gravel so you dont get a big pot hole. good luck.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Had one on my place in CO that was there when I bought it. They did not use concrete and the dirt had pretty much filled it in to make it useless. I would go with the concrete.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................centex guy pretty much nailed the Install . One more observation , If , you're entry is very close too the road you might want to consider Moving the location of the CG further IN say 30 to 50 feet so that IF a truck with a long trailer needs to effect a turnin they will have plenty of angle to make a Wide swing type of turn so that the trailer will make it thru the CG without hitting the tires . fordy.. :)

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Easy way would be to put RR ties on both sides above ground and fill in a ramp on either side with crushed stone. Drive steel stakes beside ties to keep then in place. This would eliminate any hole below the grate to fill up over time. The stone would cost less than the concrete, and the labor would be at a minimum with no hole to dig.

6. bbbuddy

centexguy I can see why a concrete "box" to keep out the dirt, and to act as a foundation for the cattle guard, but why open ended? wouldn't the dirt from the ends fill it up?
    thanks, maddy

7. bbbuddy

thanks fordy, but this is on a straight-away portion of the road leading to our property...the ranch that owns all the grazing rights around here owns the property we have to drive through. several dozen 40 acre parcels were sold with this as the legal access. It is their fence and barbed wire gate that we have to go through, and the ranch manager is the one that offered it to us. He is retiring and won't need to use it anywhere.

So far, we are the only ones living here in the midst of thousands of empty acres :)

8. bbbuddy

hmm this sure sounds like an easy way to go...no concrete to have delivered, etc etc...
    thanks, maddy

9. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

I have seen them installed with rr ties one each side with the ends open, in a hole.

The ramp idea sound good, to prevent filling in.

Mrs whodunit

10. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................Most , "Cattle Guards" in Texas , make atleast the minimum wage of 5.15 per hour :haha: . , fordy :eek: :p

11. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

MY neighbor had his best horse get in one cattle crossing and broke his leg He had them filled with gravel to prevent another accident and put up a hinge gate.

12. idahocurs

idahocurs Well-Known Member

There is maintanance involved with cattle gaurds as there is with gates and no matter how you install it dirt and gravel will build up in the open space nderneath. I would recommend pouring a concrete pit with a pad on both sides as reccomended and make it as level with the ground as possible so it does not become the biggest damn speed bump in the world. Also plan to get out the shovel and clean the pit every spring or summer as maintanance but while spending the hours of time has been saved over opening and closing a gate all the time.