Cattle feed okay?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Rowdy, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

Well, a friend of my girlfriend got rid of all her livestock, and gave me ten bags of feed. Only one was goat feed, and it had drugs in it, so I'll not be using it, but now I have nine bags of "Mixed Grane Pellet", "For Beef Cattle on Pasture."

Looking at the tags of the goat chow and cattle feed, the cattle feed has slightly less protein, a fraction more fat, less fiber, less calcium and less phoshorus.

It also hass Hemicellulose Extract, Sulfuric acid, and molasses, which the goat feed does not have.

I don't usually feed my goats out of a sack, but they are on short range right now until I finish the fencing on the next paddock, so a little extra wouldn't hurt them at the moment.

Any thoughts about this being an okay or bad idea?

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

If you have no intention of ever graining your goats, than I would pass on feeding them anything like this for a month or so and then back to forage and hay only. It won't do them anygood to be grained for only 1 month, by the time they build the new enzymes and bacteria in their gut to readily digest the new food in their rumen you will have the new paddock done, they will go off grain when the bags run out...so what is the value of it?

Cattle feeds are usually of better quality than goat feeds.
    Goat feeds that contain drugs are not usually anything more than cocci medications that are actually not 'drugs in the sense of antibiotics etc...certainly not affecting milk or meat in the amounts fed.
    A percentage of protein, fat and roughage on sacks of feed mean nothing, you need to know if the protein is assimilated as protein, if the protein is real "fish meal or feathermeal" is not assimlated as protein for a goat like alfalfa or soy meal is. Just like with our food their is good fat and bad fat, useable fat etc....and roughage from alfalfa is much better than roughage from ground corncobs.

Of all things to be afraid of, it's not drugs, it's those byproducts feed tags. I would throw the feed into layers in my compost pile or feed it to the hens.

If you do choose to feed this, start slowly, end slowly, make all changes slowly. Vicki

3. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

Thanks Vicki!

Well, they have always gotten a little grain (not everyday) as a treat, or usually as a way to make them eaiser to work with... so, they'll probably adjust to it pretty quick, esp since I have slowly increased their pellet feed as they've come closer to finishing off this first paddock.

It may be about a month before I have enough to finish the next one, so to keep from having to cut too many trees down, or at least branches, being able to feed a little out of a sack would help me, not really help them.

I do think I will pass on using the feed, but it would be such an easy, temp fix if I would.

Running out of forage is my own fault, I didn't get the dozer rented soon enough to get the fence lines cleared. This will teach me to look farther ahead.

Anyway, thanks for the always great advice!