Been There Done That, Got The T-shirt
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you prefer?

Why?

Electric

Tool Font Automotive tire Cylinder Auto part

Barnes

Office supplies Tints and shades Musical instrument accessory Cosmetics Auto part

Keystone

Font Camera accessory Tripod Machine Cameras & optics

·
Sock puppet reinstated
27,030 Posts
"So, now you know the difference between antlers and horns. Antlers are found on cervids, are made of bone, are typically branched, and are shed every year. Horns are found on bovids, are made of a bony core with a keratin sheath, are not branched and are a permanent part of the animal."

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm more familiar with dairy. Beef types must be dehorned more routinely to reduce bruising cuts?
Horns are undesirable because of the damage they can inflict upon pasture/pen mates.

They are about the only defensive weapon a bovine has and the suckers seem to know that they have them.

Reactions: altair

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Angus don't have horns. That's why some farmers prefer them, they aren't as noisy. Too many cows honking their horns in the middle of the night can become quite irritating.
Well you do know why some cows wear bells...

Their horns don't work.

·
Registered
Acta non verba
2,407 Posts
Horns are undesirable because of the damage they can inflict upon pasture/pen mates.

They are about the only defensive weapon a bovine has and the suckers seem to know that they have them.
Dairy cows must be under less stress. Even our yaks weren't abnormally rough with their horns, but each scenario is different.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dairy cows must be under less stress. Even our yaks weren't abnormally rough with their horns, but each scenario is different.
I agree, each animal and each scenario is different.

Also where she is in the pecking order.

If you will watch cows in a feeder when there is competition for something other cows will come up and butt them with their heads to drive them away.

Intact horns would potentially cause damage in such a scenario.

Best to knock them off.

The logs not the words?

Reactions: altair

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There was another member who gave me some great advice and it was actually the first time she had done so.

I worked as if by magic, the extreme thorn in my side was gone and that left me wondering if she had some sort of mythical powers.

She also seemed to be very sad and troubled at each and every one of our meetings.

In trying to understand the cause of her perpetual disquiet, I believe I finally stumbled upon the answer.

Handwriting Rectangle Smile Slope Font

@tarbe

·
Sock puppet reinstated
27,030 Posts
Looks like someone is posting putdowns and insinuations about another HT poster after that someone put the other poster on ignore( or at least said they were going to). I guess that poster can't just put down the game ball and leave it at that. Read into that what you will.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts