Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I'm a silly filly!!
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 acre pasture that I currently have three horses on, and with our wet spring and summer here it is overrun with Johnson grass. But I notice that my neighbors who have cattle, don't seem to have any in their pastures, and I've not seen any particular land management practices, like disking or planting. So my question is, do cows kill Johnson grass? My horses are eating the heck out of mine, and it's "safe" right now, but I really want it gone. I was thinking about getting a couple of steers anyway, but it may be more of an incentive to do so if they'll strip the pasture of the JG! I'm all for natural methods and hope I don't have to resort to chemicals to kill it. Plus if I can get some good grass fed beef out of it - two for one!

Pam :cool: <------------ is looking for a magic bullet

·
Dariy Calf Raiser
2,004 Posts
johnson grass can be killed by cutting or grazing it below 3 inches during the winter if it gets cold in your area.........its that simple but in warm cliamte area you will have to spray to kill.....tjm

·
Registered
26 Posts
My cows eat Johnson grass, actually seem to like it if it doesnt get to big. Just my guess but I would say your neighbor has JG, but the cows are keeping it picked down. If I remember correctly JG is fairly high in protein.

When are you getting those steers :)

Kenny

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
IF you got to be "natural", & be rid of JG, get busy w/a hoe! Otherwise treat it like sorghum/sudan pasture. Keep 'em off of it after a freeze, &when it re-grows after drought till it is waist high. Ain't nothing wrong w/it for pasture or hay for cows . Could use a weed wiper & glyphosate.

·
Udderly Happy!
2,866 Posts
Johnson grass is pretty good forage for cows when it's young and tender. Keep all stock away from it if you're in a warm climate area once it gets hot weather. Last year during our drought, the extension service put out a bulletin about it's danger for cows after it gets to a certain maturity stage. I think it has some harmful effects and some farmers lost LOTS of cows from it. The hay that I feed every winter is bermuda/johnson grass and my cows clean it up like candy.

·
I'm a silly filly!!
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Barbara - I'm on the northeast side of New Braunfels, so yes, we're pretty close neighbors! Thanks for the link - I actually had someone from the extension office in Hays County come out and look, and well, that was a waste of time. I called my vet yesterday and he alleviated a lot of my concern about it for the time being, I just need to find the best way to get rid of it.

Had actually thought about hiring a couple of day workers to just pull it out by hand...

Pam :cool: <----------------- has not totally discarded that idea

1 - 7 of 7 Posts