Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have a mouse problem. Then I got 3 kittens for the barn. Now I have 2 out of 4 stalls that have become the litterbox.

My cats leave the barn and are outside most of the time...until they have to go..then they come back into the barn and go in the stall.

Whats the best way to stop them???

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,432 Posts
I feel for you, but don't have a solution right off.

Used to have an "emergency" stall for quarantines, medical procedures, dam & foal bonding, etc when DH and I raised mini donkeys. I attempted to keep it clean at all times, with fresh wood shavings, etc.

Now. WHERE do you think the cats went to do their business? SIXTY ACRES here, and they had to use the quarantine/emergency stall!

If you have time to hover around, you could squirt them with a spray bottle, hose or something.

You've got a stinky problem, and I hope you come up with a good solution.

NeHi

·
Thechickenladyxx
300 Posts
thegriffiths said:
I used to have a mouse problem. Then I got 3 kittens for the barn. Now I have 2 out of 4 stalls that have become the litterbox.

My cats leave the barn and are outside most of the time...until they have to go..then they come back into the barn and go in the stall.

they are marking their terratory, telling the meeses to stay away. close it off, and thoroughly clean it with bleach, it will remove their scent and they will move on.

hope it helps

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
thegriffiths said:

Ok, silly question here. Don't the horses pee/poo in the stalls? So if they do that what difference does a little cat pee/poo make? I'm confused.

donsgal

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Clove oil. Natural cat repellent. Soak a few cotton balls and scatter them about the area you do not want kitty to use.

You might find it in health food stores, or online if you have no luck at your local shops.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The stalls are going to be for my goats actually, but the main problem is that cat crap smells really bad compared to the goats and such. My wife has heard and fearful that cat poo can carry some dangerous organisms. My biggest gripe is that its small enough and usually buried and I step in it more than I would any of the other animals.

I will try the clove oil.

Thanks much.

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
thegriffiths said:
The stalls are going to be for my goats actually, but the main problem is that cat crap smells really bad compared to the goats and such. My wife has heard and fearful that cat poo can carry some dangerous organisms. My biggest gripe is that its small enough and usually buried and I step in it more than I would any of the other animals.

I will try the clove oil.

Thanks much.
The only dangerous thing about cat poo is that you can get toxemia from it if you are pregnant. Try sticking a litter box in the corner! I'm sure they would much rather use that. Of course, you'll have to clean it, but there are worse things.

donsgal

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,432 Posts
donsgal said:
Ok, silly question here. Don't the horses pee/poo in the stalls? So if they do that what difference does a little cat pee/poo make? I'm confused.

donsgal
While you CAN use the droppings from horses and goats as fertilizer in the garden, you might not want to use cat droppings as garden fertilizer. . . . it's darned nasty smelling, too, compared to goat or horse or even cow poo. Also, the organisms in cat poo can cause miscarriages (abortions) in goats. IMO a little cat poo can make a big difference.

NeHi

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
An alternative to clove oil is moth balls. When I have an issue with one of my cats, I buy a small bag of those and toss them out onto the area. Worked like a charm for one garden bed.

Another thing you can do is find yourself about a wheelbarrow load of sand and put it off somewhere it will stay dry and loose.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an update to the above posts.

Clove Oil - No effect.

Moth Balls - seemed to work, then they started back again in only one of the stalls.

I also cleaned the stalls completely, all that is there is the hard packed dirt and the moth balls. Its not as bad but one dropping is bad enough.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Go buy a dog radio fence and put it around the stalls. It does not work well for keeping cats in, but is great for keeping them out. You will need a collar for each cat. If you don't want to buy one and you know somebody who has one.....ask to borrow the transmitter....tghe dogs don't need it on anylonger after a few month.......get some cheap radio wire and a few collars....it would only need to be up a few days and the cats will not go anywhere neer the stalls again.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Clean the stalls out. Dig up a piece of dirt near the barn, make sure it is nice and loose. Put the litter from the cat poop stalls over the dug up dirt. Make it hard for them to get into the barn. It would be best if you kept an eye out for them and grabbed them when they headed for the barn. Place them on the new toilet. They will figure out the rest.

To get the core smell out of the floor of the barn, you can use white vinegar, Nature's Miracle, or bleach. If you use a bleach solution, get out of the barn as fast as you can as the bleach and ammonia create a toxic solution.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
donsgal said:
Try sticking a litter box in the corner! I'm sure they would much rather use that. Of course, you'll have to clean it, but there are worse things.
This is a GREAT idea!

This solution allows the cats to keep going in their favorite area, keeps them where you WANT them to be for mouse control, and makes cleanup easy.

I bet they'll use the cat box instead of the stall. You may have to put the cat box in their favorite "corner" to encourage them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts