cat's skin allergy

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Doc, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member Supporter

I notice there is a canine forum but not a feline forum, so I'm asking my Q here. My cat licks and chews and bites to the point that half the hair from the base of his tail is gone -- he looks like a fru-fru poodle. Also has a bald spot on his hip area and small one on shoulder.

I've tried Topspot, Revolution, Neem oil (he runs from it) and nothing works. I think he is allergic to mosquitoes, but my vet says that most likely it is environmental and seasonal -- it could be ragweed for all we know.

I am trying to find something that will relieve the itch and give him some peace. Is there anything I can use on his skin that would be soothing and yet non-toxic because he will lick it immediately?

Or any other suggestions?

Thanks.

2. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

It could be some kind of skin mite. Mine did the same, and I used ear mite lotion on the area sparingly and it cleared up. I like the lotion the best. It doesn't run, and is a little thicker. Put it in the cat's ears with a cotton swab, helps clean out all that old brown residue, and keeps them happier.I bought mine at a feed store supply.I would worry about the cat licking the area, but ours apparently didn't like the taste. I rubbed in it really good, then wiped it off.

3. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Try a lotion/spray/ointment with oatmeal in it. That can help with itching. As a last resort your vet can give the cat a steroid injection if he's tearing himself up.

4. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Is he intact..there is a condition known as stud tail that affects unaltered males and will cause the symptoms you mentioned. Sometimes cats develop flea alergies as well and that can cause hair loss.Are there wounds or is it only hair loss?

5. Jc05

Jc05 Well-Known Member

We bought some kind of stuff in the Wal-Mart pet department called anti itch and it cleared our cat up that had something just like you describe.