1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Married, not dead!
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my outdoor girl kitties left me a gift of:

One rat tail.

One rat testicle.

A perfectly square piece of carefully skinned rat pelt.

One rat face. (it appears she ate most of the head from the ears back, and left just the face.)

These articles were left in an artful arrangement on my doormat. I should have taken a photo. I swear, it was like a bouquet of flowers, cat-style.

:D

·
Registered
473 Posts
I guess in the cat world those are the best peices, LOL. Just be thankful they are outside, i found stuff like that in my bed once, I was not impressed.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
LOL! my sister wants to know how you knew it was a rat testicle...she is a city slicker to the max...
Good kitty!

·
Married, not dead!
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL! my sister wants to know how you knew it was a rat testicle...she is a city slicker to the max...
What, they don't have rats in the city?

I could identify the tail and the face as having belonged to a rat... so, I'm assuming the square of fur and the testicle also belonged to the rat.

If the testicle in fact belongs to another creature, I am doubly impressed.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
What, they don't have rats in the city?

I could identify the tail and the face as having belonged to a rat... so, I'm assuming the square of fur and the testicle also belonged to the rat.

If the testicle in fact belongs to another creature, I am doubly impressed.
I don't think my sister has ever seen a rat. LOL except for pictures. I thought it was funny that when I read your post she didn't laugh like I did..she asked that bazaar question! I was at her house in Minneapolis when I was reading it. I'm sure Minneapolis has a lot of rats....but not where she lives :cute:

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
My cat does that too, but he leaves them in the yard and the puppies always finds them before I can get to them.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Cats can be so thoughtfully for sure. Our cat brings rats, mice, moles or any other things she can catch and bring to our door. Seems our animals are just saying thanks for taking such care of them alone with feeding them, so I guess they think they need to feed us too... LOL... :D When our cat does the killing she never eats just leaves at door..

·
aka RamblinRoseRanc :)
5,066 Posts
One of my outdoor girl kitties left me a gift of:

One rat tail.

One rat testicle.

A perfectly square piece of carefully skinned rat pelt.

One rat face. (it appears she ate most of the head from the ears back, and left just the face.)

These articles were left in an artful arrangement on my doormat. I should have taken a photo. I swear, it was like a bouquet of flowers, cat-style.

:D

Poor kitty. He had no idea his owner wouldn't recognize the Build-a-Rat kit he left. :Bawling: lol

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Rats have HUGE testicles. Seriously. They are sometimes referred to as "torpedoes".

Kayleigh
LOL! My future SIL was with us last night while we were xmas browsing and he was looking in the small animals and was so excited to tell us that the hamster was giving birth.. we had to infrom him that was in fact a male and that was no baby.. he was totally shocked at the size of the testicles on a hamster!

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
My husbands beloved cat likes to leave such gifts on his motorcycle, its really nice when we dont see them before we smell them. They dont trust us meer humans to understand the build a rat kits and just leave it whole, so at least your cats think better of you than ours does us.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
I read awhile back, in an animal behavior book, that cats do that to help support the poor hunters in their social group.

Your kitty is taking pity on you because she thinks you're not clever or fast enough to catch your own rats. :)

·
Registered
905 Posts
LOL...YEp YEp Could Be Could Be Ernie...

Something found while surfing net for other pet help.

Look What The Cat Brought In
Owners that do let their cat outdoors might be faced with an occasional gift in the form of dead or injured prey. Cat Behavior researcher Roger Tabor explains that this act stems from several reasons.

On one level, this is much like the mother cat bringing dazed prey to her kittens - the cat tries to help us acquire hunting skills, which we obviously lack.

On another, more functional level, this is part of the cat's hunting process. As the cat needs to tire out the prey with repetitive capture and release, she prefers to do so on her home turf. There she has the upper hand when the prey attempts to escape, as she knows every inch of the area.

So if your cat goes outside and comes back with a live gift, do not scold her for doing so - after all this is what millions of years of evolutions taught her to do. If you want to prevent your cat from hunting, you will probably need to keep her inside.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts