cats and worms

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cheri in NY, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Cheri in NY

Cheri in NY Well-Known Member

Two of our indoor-outdoor cats had a long, thin, rolled up reddish brown worm in the tail hair last night when they came in. Four of our cats have long hair. Does this sound like an internal worm they have or more like something the cat rolled in? They mostly poop outside, so I can't check the box after them. Ideas????

2. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Tape worms look like white rice sticking to the fur under the tail. They get these from fleas and I think from eating other critteres that have them too.

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My barn cat once threw up a long thin rolled up worm, but it was white. I got her some wormer at the Co-op and haven't seen any more.

4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

It sounds like it may be a round worm or whip worm. Call your vet, he can probably give you something that is real cheap. If you can bring the worm in question in, they can diagnos the problem without seeing the cat. If your cats are outside, especially if they hunt, they will tend to pick up worms. There are homemade preventatives you can give them routinely.

5. QueenB04

QueenB04 Well-Known Member

Get some wormer from either the feed store or by a vet. Cats are unusual critters in the worm field, they can get some unusual kinds. We had one that threw up a 3ft long hog tapeworm.....never quite seen anything like it. Poor cat was heaving forever needless to say we were all suprised. Standard wormer should work well for you. Cats can get into some interesting things, so it's hard to say what exactly it is from this stand point without looking at it. Regular wormer should work fine.

6. Cheri in NY

Cheri in NY Well-Known Member

Maura,
    What are some of the homemade preventives that you mentioned?

Thanks for all the others who responded. I thought that the OTC stuff that you mix in thier food only kills one type of worm...any I wrong? Does it handle all types?

7. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

It's not exactly home-made, but one non-veteranary preventative is Diatomous Earth. You can get it from any place that sells a decent range of garden supplies. Some have added insecticides, so read the label. You do not want to use the swimming pool variety. All you have to do is mix it in with your cat's food.

8. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

This is from "The Cure for All Diseases" by Dr. Hulda Regehr Clark.
    Do not jump into week four. The cat's body needs to get rid of the dying parasites gradually or the organs will be taxed. Do not be surprised if the cat vomits up a worm or other gunk, or if he gets diarrhea. Sprinkle salt on it, wait five minutes, then clean up using paper towels. Finish up using grain alcohol.

Week one
    A. Stop feeding your cat processed food. Natural is best. She recommends cooking the meat, but other professionals recommend raw. Even cooked, the food you make will not contain the preservativees in commercial food.

B. Cook up a big bunch of parsley in a quart of water for three minutes. Throw out parsley. Freeze most of it in one cup containers. This is enough for one month. Put one tsp parsley water on pet's food. This is a supplement for the kidneys so they can take care of the added burden of dying parasites.

Week two

For a 10 pound animal (double for a 20 pound animal, etc)

Continue giving parsley water. Black Walnut Hull tincture, REGULAR strength. One drop on food (two drops for a 20 pound animal, etc), per day for DOG, twice a week for a CAT. If your pet should be getting more than one drop, work up to it, one drop the first day, two drops the second day,...

Week three
    Continue with parsley water and black walnut hull tincture. One tiny pinch of wormwood powder, which you can buy in capsule form.

Week four
    Continue with parsley water, black walnut hull tincture, and wormwood powder.
    One tiny pinch of clove powder, which can also be bought in capsule form.

She recommends continuing week four to keep your pet parasite free. I think if you do a web search you will find more on killing parasites, but they all seem to follow Dr. Clark's protocol.

She also recommends that you do not use isopropyl alcoho for cleaning. Use grain alcohol only.