cats and indoor plants

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by shorty'smom, Feb 20, 2005.

1. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

Does anybody know a way to keep cats from digging in potted plants and using them for a toilet instead of their littlerbox? I try to start seed indoors every year and the cats destroy the seed flats. I try to keep the cats outdoors, but I think that cats can get into a house by osmosis, especially when it's cold outdoors.

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I put Spanish moss in the pot around the plant and that helps. As for your seedlings, can you put some type of cover on them? I save clear plastic containers to put my seedlings in. Also, you can buy a spray at the pet store or online that will keep cats away. They don't like the smell.

3. mommymushbrain

mommymushbrain Well-Known Member

I use cayenne pepper for my outdoor gardens, so I'm sure it would work for the inside, although it might be messy. :haha: I sprinkle my around the edge of my beds.

4. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

My kitty loves spicy stuff! Go figure.

Can you raise the flats to a level that they won't know that they're there?

5. cardinal

cardinal Member

Have you tried those red lava rocks? Just put a layer of rocks over the dirt in the pots. I think you can get them at Home Depot or Wal-Mart. My cats didn't like the feeling of them on their paws. This wouldn't work for your seedlings of course, but it might save your larger plants.

6. Phantomfyre

Phantomfyre Black Cat Farm Supporter

I tried Spanish Moss in the past and it worked. I've also used rocks that are too large for the cat to move easily.

As for your seed trays, can you put them up somewhere, lock them in a room the cats can't get to, or something like that? Maybe put little rolls of tape with the sticky side out around the plants so kitty can't walk near them without getting a bunch of tape stuck to himself? (Did this to keep the cat from jumping up on the bedroom dresser - worked like a charm! He jumped up there one last time, and never again.) Or stick a bunch of toothpicks in the seed trays to make it hard to get in there without getting poked? Set up a booby trap above the seed trays with fishing line or something so that if kitty triggers it, a bunch of empty pop cans fall on him? Just some ideas...

Diana

7. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Fold a piece of hardware cloth like a shoe box lid and set over seedlings. Save from year to year.

8. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

I like that hardware cloth idea. I have tried the plastic lids for the starting trays. The cats just lie on them. They dig toothpicks up. They dig up rocks, but I haven't tried lava rock. I have 4 cats. I'm allergic to cats too. But I hate mice and I do like cats a lot. I have disposed of the houseplants, mostly because they have been killed by the cats. I like to start my own garden seed and it's been difficult. There is not a place in my entire house where these cats don't think they belong. They have broken so many dishes, vases and clocks, you can't imagine. One of them thinks she is a bird, I swear. she's got to lie high up. They all think my computer is a perch. One of them used to seceretly type messags to the "cat mother ship" at night on the keyboard and do odd things to the software, until I bought a proper desk with keyboard tray. I think I'll just build a cage for the seedlings. Good idea. Thanks.

9. stuckinsd

stuckinsd Well-Known Member

bamboo skewers-maybe they can't dig them up if they are deep enough...I have cats too, and it's hard keeping them out of things!

stuck...

10. dakani

dakani Well-Known Member

I've just recently bid farewell to a lovely miniature African violet :waa: Totally eaten, I think, because I've only found a couple of small leaves. But now my newest, littlest beastie is starting in on the aloe vera, digging it up and leaving dirt all over my bench top. He doesn't do this to use the litter, just to dig, it seems. Guess I'll be trying the rocks - which can only add to the appearance of a succulent, right? :)

11. rainedaze

rainedaze Well-Known Member

My MIL says that tin foil works great her houseplants. She has six cats in her house and has many different problems. She says that the cats don't like the tin foil and stay away from her plants. Good Luck.

In my house plants that the cats were digging in and using for a litter box I put a thick layer of aquarium rocks that you would put in the bottom of a fish aquarium. This also worked good.

12. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Our friend Gail used to start seedlings inside a wire dog crate. If you are just using it for seedings it would work great. Trouble with that is my crate always has chicks in it that time of year!