catmint uses??

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ann Mary, May 30, 2006.

1. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I have what I think to be catmint...growing here and there wild around the place. It has a mint smell and the square stems but...any ideas what it can be used for? Is there a picture of it somewhere to help me identify it for sure? It is a mint of some kind that I know. I'd lilke to use it if it is indeed a mint. Thanks! (Maybe I should have posted this in the plant i.d. section....oops)

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i am just rehabilitating a small patch of catnip. it is a mint, i think. it has the square stem. catnip is pungent. i am going to try to sell it to pet lovers eventually. beyond that, i have no idea what it is good for. giving it to the cats gives me a good laugh. :)

3. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Well, I just made some DELIGHTFUL mint schnapps today. I don't know if you could use catmint for that...I just used the stuff that is growing in our creek...no idea what kind it is, but it sure is yummy!

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Catmint makes a soothing tea for people too.

5. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

I have catmint too, and don't know what use to put it to. A friend told me it's different from catnip. I guess I'll brew some tea and do a taste test.

6. Ann Mary

Yes, there is a difference between catmint and catnip and I know mine isn't catnip. Maybe I'll try a cup of catmint tea. Any other uses?? Thanks!

7. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Catmint: (Nepeta faassenii) An infusion of leaf and flowering tops will relieve colds and fevers, colic in children, headaches and acts as a mild sedative. Drinking two cups of the tea per day is reputed to reduce the likelihood of developing cataracts. The tea also reduced the eruptions of measles and chicken pox sores. It can be used to induce parturition and encourage menstruation. Apply externally as a wash for wounds. A poultice of the leaves is used for hives, sore breasts of nursing mothers, and to reduce swelling. A tincture is used as a rub for rheumatic and arthritic joins and to treat haemorrhoids.

Catnip is (Nepeta cataria).

8. Ann Mary

Thank you culpeper! This plant that I'm thinking is catmint: does it grow in drier soil than most mints but also in the moist soil as well? I find it growing here and there and will try to use it now.

9. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

10. Ann Mary

Thank you Nance. I can't tell from the picture what the leaves look like. I think I saw some for sale at Home Depot-I will study the plant more carefully next time I am in there. I can't recall what I've got flowering like the picture shows.

11. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

12. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I've just gotten some too and am not sure how to use it. But I know that it grows in any conditions and spreads, so I'll plant it to fill in some flower beds that are away from my water source and they can live without too much fuss. I don't worry about spreading mnt in my perennial gardens because they crowd out the weeds and don't prevent perennials from returning. I just pull here and there when they are someplace I don't want them.

13. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

Catmint is very similar to catnip. Both will put you to sleep.

14. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

I use it as filler in bouquets! All those pretty blue flowers. :) Tried the tea, but thought it tasted pretty nasty. :shrug: I'm kinda picky, what can I say? I really just like to have it in the flower gardens because it's drought tolerant, stays in bloom all summer, and is easy-care.

15. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i learn something new everyday. :) i had never heard of catmint before. i figured it was just a local name...thingy, lol.