catfish in 55gal barrels?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by centexguy, Aug 18, 2006.

1. centexguy

centexguy Well-Known Member

My tank is getting very low because of the drought we are in and I have several hundred catfish that will probably die soon if I dont do something asap.
    I have several 55gal barrels that should hold quite a few, how many can I put in each barrel? They range in size from 2" to 7-8". I will try to find an air pump to help oxygenate the water. If anybody is interested and has a place to keep them I will probably have quite a few I could give away. My farm is a few miles north of Waco Texas. :shrug:

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I would think you could put around 10 per barrel. You need to use water from the pond if possible. You should probably put some gravel in the bottom too, to help support the bacteria that break down waste.

If they are not going to be in there long, you might try pushing it to more like 15 or 20.

3. kbabin

kbabin Well-Known Member

4. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

A neighbor of mine has been planning to stock his cattle tank for several months now and just hasn't gotten around to ordering any. Once the tank is stocked, I get to fish from it :) I'm near Austin. How far is it to your place from Austin?

5. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Instead of a 55 gallon barrel, could I use a large galvanized water trough instead? I have an extra trough kicking around that I was going to sell, but maybe I should keep it to raise catfish in the backyard! The tank holds 100 gallons, I think, and measures around 2 1/2 ft by 3 ft.

6. moodcouple

moodcouple Well-Known Member

So you would be the perfect person to find out - how easy is it really to shoot fish in barrel?

(you know someone had to ask)

7. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I can't give you any specifics because it's been a long time and he's passed on to glory, but my Uncle Buck used to raise catfish in a horse trough.

We kids thought it was pretty cool. :D

Pony!

8. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

What about the tanks on A pallet that have wire cages around them ,They are 250 gallons and up. And you can plumb a few together ,And use A drum/Barrel as A filter .

9. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

By tank are you speaking Texan and mean what other people call a farm pond? If you are you will have to seine them out and that can be quite a chore in blackland mud in a stock tank. A half bro. of mine lives south of West. I am north of you by about an hour I would guess. I'm between Maypearl and Midlothan.

Not sure how much water I have in my stocktanks right now either. If I was in good shape, I would be mighty interested. My tanks have silted up severely over the years and don't hold nearly as much water as they once did.

Also, what kind of catfish are you talking about, channel cat or another variety. That will make a difference if others are interested.
    Ed

10. centexguy

centexguy Well-Known Member

Yep, it is a stock "pond" It is normally around 10-12ft deep, its 3-4 ft now. They are channel catfish. You can order them several times a year from a fish farm for 50cents-1.00ea depending on the size. I bought 100 about 2yrs ago and they have repoduced several times. I feed them floating catfish food and old bread. I am about 15 miles north of Waco, so it probably wouldnt be worth a trip from Austin which is 100miles south. If you want to stock a pond you should stock some baitfish first and let them get established. Thats what someone told me anyhow. I put mine all in at once,and I feed them almost daily, and they have done well so far, but it has been sooo dry.Thanks to all for the links and ideas.

11. silverbackMP

silverbackMP Well-Known Member

Ahhh goog ol Texas--where a pond is a "tank" and Mountain Dew, Welches Grape, and A&W are all "Coke." :D :D :D

12. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

From experience, I say your fish will die. I hate to be so pessimistic but I had a 300 gal plastic tank that overheated in South Louisiana in April. I don't think you'll be able to pump enough oxygen in the water. The water will get too hot. Even in shade.

Good luck though

13. RachAnn in NW Okla

RachAnn in NW Okla Well-Known Member

dont channel cat tunnel down in the mud where they could possiblly live for 2 weeks????

I would say that there isnt much you could do but try to wait it out....if they are fairly cheap (you said .50-$1----I dont know if this is cheap) cant you just restock???

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14292059/
    This is really close to me and there is a fish hatchery there too

Rachel

14. ToraAnne

ToraAnne Well-Known Member

I live on the other side of Waco (off of HWY 6) I don't have a way to get them, but if you wanted to bring them out--I live on a lake. It's a small lake but has PLENTY of water.

15. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

That's a thought. You could build a small pen out of screen or small enough mesh and keep them in there until the rain situation improves. That way you won't lose your investment.

16. Scomber

Scomber Well-Known Member

I'd not feed them. That will reduce the biological oxygen demand of the bacteria breaking down their waste. They'll eat whatever algae grows in the tank and that will have to get them through.

For an improvised tank, I use old cable to hold pallets in a ring, line the pallets with old rugs (cardboard might work) then line the whole thing with a scrap of greenhouse plastic or a blue tarp. Six pallets hold about 1000 gallons.

[​IMG]

Dan

17. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

How bout one of those 12' backyard pools from wally world? They have them 3' or 4' deep. Fill it with pond water, toss in some pond crud to make them feel at home. Take the sand outta the filter so it'll circulate without filtering the water. I think they hold something like 2000 - 3000 gallons of water. Might be cheaper to just restock later...