Catfish Farming?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TxCloverAngel, Jun 12, 2006.

1. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

All my son wants for his birthday is to go to a catfish farm.

Those of you not in Texas might not have them... its a catfish farm that "lets" you catch their big nice catfish then pay them for them! lol There is NO catch and release... live weight = $2.50 per lb if they clean/cut it for you its $3.00 a lb.

hmmm I am not too sure I think this is the way to fish, but we are going to go Sat to see what we think.

His way of thinking is.. He'll be guaranteed to catch fish, he LOVES to fish. And we'll get enough to go home and have a big fish fry for everyone.

Well.. I was researching these catfish farms online and found a very interesting site about catfish farming in Texas.
    Seems its a growing business venture and has major growth potential.

I wondered why my tractor Supply sold catfish food w/ the other animal feeds. hmmmm something to think about.
    whatcha think?

http://www.texas-ec.org/publications/texascooppower/archive/703contents.aspx

2. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

we have been raising catfish in cages for years.

4'x4'x8' cages

they convert feed to gain on a 1to1 ratio

3. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

in Cages? Man.. You just HAD to give me something else to go research didn't you? lol

4. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

Sounds like a cool birthday present for a youngun'.Catfish farming is big time down my way.Try and google up Mississippi State Universitys cooperative extension Service.It has possibly the leading research in catfish farming.

5. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

Louisiana catfish farming is growing too. I had a friend from high school that bought a working farm. Thought he was nuts. He's got it all now! Lucky dude he was...in the right place at the right time. But I think you have to do it big time or not expect to make any money. Last year I tried to raise some fingerlings in a 300 gallon tank. They made it through the spring and into June but went belly up when the heat hit. Air pump wasn't big enough and the water got too hot too.

I have a neighbor down the road that has a small pond and fishes it for fun. When he catches them, he throws them in a cage too, for later. Feeds them daily and those are some of the nicest fish I've seen.

6. texican

texican Well-Known Member

My uncle had a fish out pond on his fish farm... a local landmark between Carthage and Marshall, right on hwy 59. I worked for him off and on over the years... the 'draw' to this place, was you KNEW there were fish there... sometimes they weren't biting... we had several tricks we could use to encourage em to bite... some folks would fish all day and not catch nuthin... I'd go over and give em a different kind of bait, just to try and change their luck... *we sold bait too :rolleyes: *

I fed a couple dozen 1 to 7 pounders this evening after work, in my lil lake...