Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a battle going on at my homestead. I have what apparently is a very large 'coon who is intent on gaining access to my feedroom. I've literally walled off every access point on my concrete block barn, and I screwed the side door shut. I'm setting a trap now and using peanut butter to attract him.
Trouble is, he's outwitting the trap. Last night, he bent the end door to get in and unsnapped the retaining wires to get to the lure.
If I can catch him, I'll shoot him. He's already chewed through wires in the garage ceiling and caused a circuit to fail which is scary and was a huge fire hazard. He literally scaled the block wall to get in.
Does anyone have any tips on how to set the trap up to catch him? I have a Hav-a-heart trap (large) that I'm using. So far, he's outwitted it.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Here's how we did it. We caught ten this year.
http://gardenplotter.com/rospo/blog/2007/06/baiting-trap-for-raccoon.html#links

We used two traps. Some of the coons were so big they wouldn't have gone in the smaller trap. We had to put bricks on the smaller trap so they wouldn't drag it around. We also had to put hardware cloth on the bait end of the large trap so they couldn't reach in from outside the trap and get the peanut butter on their feet and lick it off and steal it that way.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Powdered yellow fly bait mixed with Coka-Cola to form a paste. Put where the coon can get it. You won't have to worry about the trap anymore - he be a dead coon.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I've got one that is trying to get my chickens. he has gotten 3 but i have since buttoned up the coop so now he can't get in. i have seen him once and he was faster than i could get my shot off so the nightly rounds of guarding of the coop continues...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to try that, Scrounger. I hate shooting anything. I killed a feral cat yesterday and it just tears me up to have to shoot something. Your method sounds like it would be dragging out the pain though, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
No, it will kill the coon in a few minutes. Cats, dogs, and chickens don't seem to bother with it, but put it where the coon can get it, and nothing else, just to be sure.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use a live trap 42"x15"x15" with a can of cat food wired in the back.The bigger size works better because if the trap is to small and the coon is large it will throw the trap and the door will catch on its back and it will back right out. After a couple times they wont go in again .Once a coon starts on something they wont stop until caught or killed

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Ohiogal said:
I'll have to try that, Scrounger. I hate shooting anything. I killed a feral cat yesterday and it just tears me up to have to shoot something. Your method sounds like it would be dragging out the pain though, wouldn't it?
Yea but I wouldn't eat it after killing it this way :shrug:

big rockpile

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,021 Posts
I've heard that Golden Malrin fly bait crystals in a cola cocktail works quite well. :) :rolleyes: Have seen them with their head still in the pan, ate to the very end. It's not a labeled use for golden malrin. Just to be safe, I would put it where the family dog can't get to it, just in case he has a sweet tooth.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've always caught them in leg hold traps. Set the trap in area you know he will be coming in to, secure the trap chain good so he doesn't drag it away. Put some sardines in oil on the pan and than cover the trap with some dry grass clippings, so he's gotta dig in there to find the goodies. If he's a real smart one, you might want to fasten a sardine with some fishing line to the trap pan. Also saw in another post, if you got one of those plastic 55 gallon drums with the one end removed. Put it someplace where he climb up to the open end and secure it so he can't knock it over while he's jumpimg around inside. Sardines or maybe peanut butter in the bottom will get him.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
We have an obese raccoon invading our backyard now as well. We have no chickens or the like, just a cat, a bunch of gold fish and frogs in the pond, a bunch of birds, and a smaller dog. This coon has been getting more and more brazen as he just saunders around the backyard at will.

Yesterday I looked out the kitchen window to see our cat in a stare down with the coon. Well, actually the cat was staring, the coon could care less and was eating stuff out of the grass. Knowing our cat and our smallish dog (especially the dog) it is only a matter of time before one of them charges the coon and it will be lights out for the dog and or cat.

I had been hoping he would go away eventually, but it looks like he is here to stay and I really should do something about it before the cat/dog gets eaten. I've tried to sneak up on him for a shot but it never works, he either hears me coming, or the shot is not clean etc.

I guess I'll have to go with a live trap then take him somewhere to release him. Do you guys have to buy these traps or is it something I might be able to borrow or rent from out county??

Thanks

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
We bought ours. They are pricey but when you consider how many we've already caught with them, they've paid for themselves already in just this first year.

When you release him, you are releasing him into other raccoons' territory, and possibly giving another person your problem. Shooting or drowning might be better.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Please do not release your problem on someone else. We don't need any more here either...

I set two traps last night. One hav-a-heart and one homemade slightly bigger. Coon ate the bait in the hav-a-heart and was trapped in the homemade. I will be digging a hole when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
My wife's dad has been trapping a coon-a-night for the past week or so. He takes the trap and all and sinks it in the pond for awhile. That way there isn't a fight to unload the trap and you don't have to waste a bullet.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Bought the bigger Hav-A-Heart trap and worked over the trigger sear with my flat file. It's a bit tricky to get set, but it snaps shut with the lighest touch....Glen

·
Semper Fidelis
4,609 Posts
I am doing battle with a raccoon getting into my wood shop where I store the household trash. I have secured every access point that I can find, and I haven't had a clean shot. Yet it still comes around persistantly, one night soon and pow - pistol in 1 hand and a mag light in the other!!!! As soon as I do, there will be 1 less raccoon on this planet!!!I already have a spot dug for it's carcass when I get it. I'll use a .22LR instead of a 12 gauge, so that way I wont be shooting large holes in my wood shop walls if I corner that varmit in there!!!

Maybe I will have my dad mail me my leg hold and connibear traps from Michigan from when I trapped as a teenager....

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have a trap as well and a friend of mine suggested that I place marshmallows underneath the trap below the "plate". I thought she was nuts, but every time I tried it the next morning, there was a raccoon in the trap! They LOVE the marshmallows! Also, by putting it under the whole cage, they have to really work at it and do not "outsmart" the trap.

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
We got our fourth raccoon last night! They do love marshmallows, don't they!

PLEASE, don't trap and release raccoons. They may be rabid and you're just spreading the disease. Drowning works and a bullet to the back of the head works well too.

·
Super Moderator
9,135 Posts
my parents neighbor does the fly bait and coke in shallow dishes in his garden ge gets coon ,possum ,rabits he is out at dawn to collect them up before anyone can see usualy so if he has gotten cats no one would have ever known

they usualy only make it 15-20 feet before they are dead

we have kids and can not do this, i have a live trap and yes i have caught my youngest daughter once the major reason i don't use foot holds
i mostly catch cats using chicken bone but i have loaned my trap to freinds they use dog food for coon

1 - 20 of 26 Posts