Catching a cat

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cygnet, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

Anyone have any ideas for catching a cat?

I have a housecat -- this is a bottle-raised pet -- who got out when I went out of town for a few days and the wind blew a door with a sticky latch open. (Door's been fixed. *sigh*) I couldn't find her when I got back -- got the other three cats back, but not her.
    The neighbor's chow dog subsequently got in the yard, and I figured she was dead -- I found cat fur, chow fur, and my dog was chewed up in the fight that apparently followed. That was last monday.

Friday night, I heard noises under my house, and shone a flashlight under there, and *eyes* looked back. I wasn't sure if it was my cat or another critter, so I build a box trap anyway. (Built one chow sized ... *grin*)

Caught the cat last night. She's definitely my missing kitty ... but she ripped me up when I tried to extract her from the trap and got loose and went back under the house. I reset the trap with food and catnip but no luck ... I suspect she may be injured by the way she felt -- feverish with matted fur -- when I had hold of her. I also susect she's never going in the plywood box that shut on her again ... she ran like hell when she got out.

*sigh* She's hiding under the house, but I'm not sure where, and the few times I've tried to go under there, she dashes out for parts unknown. She's scared to death.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm tempted to put some water out with antiobiotics in it, like for poultry or livestock, but I can't get hold of my vet to find out if that's feasible and what the correct dosage would be.

Leva

2. Bluegrass

Bluegrass Active Member

You can get a live trap at most hardware stores. It is a big wire and metal contraption, brand-name Havahart. They come in different sizes, but there is one sized for racoons, cats, etc. They're kind of expensive, though. Some animal shelters and ASPCAs have them to rent or loan. You might call your local humane society to see if they have any.
    Here's a link so you can see what they look like: Havahart cat trap
    Good luck.

3. Cygnet

I've got -- as I mentioned above -- a home built trap. It works great, I've been extricating chickens from it all day. (Let them out to clean the coop, since I'm home to keep an eye on things and the electric fence is back on, so the chow shouldn't be an issue today.)

Actually, I should post a picture of the trap -- a havahart costs about $80, the homebuilt one took an hour of time to make, and cost me $20. I needed a sheet of plywood and some eye bolts, but the rest was all scrap lumber. Probably would have cost about $40 if I hadn't had a bunch of odds and ends of lumber to work with. It's 2X2X4 foot, so big enough for a good sized dog but the trip's sensitive enough for a cat -- or a chicken! (And a larger trap works better for a cat anyway.)

4. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

She will go into trap when she gets hungery enough, remove all food except whats in trap. The only problem is if she has internal injurys will she die before she gets hungery enough?

5. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Can you lock other cats in bathroom and leave a door open so she can get back into house?

6. OD

OD Well-Known Member

She might go in a wire trap when she won't go in the plywood one that she already got caught in. There must be somebody that would loan you one for a day or two.

7. JerseyLightning

JerseyLightning Well-Known Member

Leva, if you don't know of an animal rescue group in your area that would lend you a trap, you can check for one on Petfinder at: http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=4

I would tend to stay away from animal control or SPCA as they might think you are trapping a feral cat and try to get it away from you. You might do better to try and find a private rescue who can loan a trap. Or, consider buying one. We bought ours for cats, but have since used it to relocate coons, possums, and a chuck.

Don't know if they have them in your area, but the grocery stores around here now have take-out departments. The rotisserie chickens they sell, I have found, most cats would sell their soul for. These are the same kind of cooked chickens that Boston Market sells. The longest I had to wait for a cat to go into a trap with a rotisserie chicken was ten minutes.

Hope you get the kitty! She must be terrified to be outside on her own.

Kathleen in NJ

8. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) I would firstly put a regular dog kennel out there with her favorite buddy in it with food and water. She might settle down a bit with a familiar kitty there. right next to the kennel with the familiar cat put your hav a heart trap or whatever, again, with food and water.

If you catch her, take her, trap and all, don't open it! to the Veterinarian unless you are sure you can take the trap with her still in it, into a secure room in your house where NO ONE will go in there except you.

Have a large dog kennel already set up in the room with a litter box, food and water waiting. Shut the room door! before you get her out of the trap and into the kennel. Keep her in that kennel until she is back to her old self again.

Good luck.................LQ

9. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

I suggest that you DO contact your local feral cat rescue group. They do have special cat traps that are even better than the Hav-a-Heart traps. They do have traps they loan and can coordinate vet care with the local humane society. Don't worry...they won't take your cat away from you...feral cat groups only TNR (Trap,Neuter,Release). I've been working with a group here in Missouri trying to get a colony of feral cats under control at my parent's farm. So many people just dump their cats in the country...it's really sad. Go to the web page for your local humane society and they will have a link to the feral cat organization that will help you. You may be surprised to find a neighbor who is involved in this program. Good luck with your kitty. :)

10. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Are you serious?!?!?!?! They catch these enormously destructive feral pests, neuter them, then release then back into the wild so they can do yet more damage to the local wildlife populations?!?!?!?

You have to be kidding. Please tell me you're kidding.

11. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

No, it's the truth. Feral cats have a life expectation of 2-3 years at the most. If an entire colony is caught, neutered and released, the entire colony will be dead within 5 years.

The feral cat population would not exist at all if people would take proper action in the first place to neuter them when they get pet cats before they are 11 months old. To not neuter them based on emotionalism or "not wanting to tamper with God's work" is to show a sense of irresponsibility that is criminal and abusive to the future generations of said unneutered cats. If they want/must give up the cats, then they should take them to a no kill shelter to be placed with a loving family who would take care of them, not dump them in the country with the misplaced belief that someone will adopt it. They won't!

Also, if a cat is dropped at your place, you are left responsible for whether they become feral or a resident at an animal shelter if you do not get the license number of the offender and report them for animal abuse/neglect. If you don't, then don't gripe because you let the problem get out of hand. Yes, it takes time and effort. What do you think it will take if you don't? It takes out the environmental balance that is already off balanced by the unneutered cats having kittens without control.

Not flaming, just pointing out the truth.

And, please, be sure you know the difference between a feral cat and your neighbor's pet. I've seen it posted on this board that a man felt that he had the right to kill his neighbor's pet for coming onto his land. When I pointed out that he would be guilty of destruction of private property, I was quickly bombarded with people who thought that I was saying shooting a feral cat was illegal.

TXlightningbug :yeeha:

12. Little Quacker in OR

Lightninbug is telling you the truth. Isn't it amazing that the Humane Society and other idiots actually spend money to do this? I parted company with our HS really quick up here when I found out what they were doing.

And it's not just in one area that groups do this! Evidently it's a widespread practice. Those feral pests provide an excellant reservoir for all kinds of parasites and diseases, they pollute the areas with cat crap which carries it's own dangers and of course, as you know they are just hell on the wild life.

As for having the "right" to shoot something, dog or cat that is on your property..of course you do! Of course, you can just SSS. I think most of us would use common sense with this though. I am of the opinion that cats should be controlled just like dogs and should never be allowed to roam off their own properties and if they do they might pay the price..and they do..millions are killed every year by autos and around here they are shot.

Once upon a time this was thought acceptable by dog owners, to just let fido run loose. Times have changed. It is now time for cat owners to recognize that this should no longer be acceptable and take responsibilty for their animals. The feral populations should be killed. Period.

IT's not hard to build a cat run. You then have safe and happy cats who don't bother anyone else.

LQ

13. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

I'd just leave her alone. She is scared and probably in some pain. Put her food and water under the house and let her take care of herself. If she's still alive after this amount of time she doesn't have any life threatening injuries. She may develop a bit of an infection, but you can deal with that when she is more social about coming out.

Cats aren't stupid and are EXTREMELY self suffcient. And I can almost guarantee she will NOT go back in any thing that even remotely resembles a trap.

If it were me, and I saw the dog again though, I'd shoot and shovel it.

If you end up trapping her again, you'll only be adding more undue stress to her problems and she will only end up clawing the crap outta you again.

She will come out, just give her time. Trust me. She just needs rest and quiet for awhile.

Even tom cats will do the same thing after a big cat fight. Except they normally hang out away from the house and don't come back until they are physically healing.

Just my two cents...

14. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

If they catch them they should immediately euthanize them. To let them back into the environment for however long is terribly irresponsible. Frankly I see them as being just as irresponsible as those who dumped the animals in the first place. I wish they could be charged with some sort of crime. Releasing a feral menace into a wild area or something. People just do not realize the damage that feral or house cats can do to wildlife. They are extremely efficient killing machines. I have no use for irresponsible pet owners who let their animals breed out of control, let them run loose or dump them on my property because they are too squeamish to deal with the problem.

When stray cats and dogs are dropped off around here (by town folks usually - I'm sure the nice farmer would like our unwanted pet) we simply dispose of them or the sheriff does if the property owner doesn't wish to.

I am a cat and dog owner and I love my pets dearly but I have no qualms about getting rid of any that show up on my property roaming loose. I simply don't tolerate it. It is too damaging to the local wildlife.

15. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I had to chuckle about how roaming cats destroy the wild birds. Not here! My outside cats are so lazy that they watch the wild birds steal their food not three feet away from them. I guess we feed those cats entirely too well!

Now about the cat under the house. Get a steel trap cause that cat is far too smart to go in the wooden trap again! Take LQ's advice.. Oh, and shoot that dog when you get a chance.

16. 2horses

2horses I'm a silly filly!! Supporter

Just as an aside on the whole feral cat thing, I contacted a group that does the whole TNR thing when I needed some cats for my barn. They trapped three from an old woman that was overrun but didn't have any means to care for them or divest herself of them. They vetted them and brought them to me a day or so later. I kept them crated for a couple of weeks, and then turned 'em loose when they got used to the idea that I would show up regularly with food. That was over a year ago - I still have two cats and no mice. And no unwanted kittens either. So there is some usefulness for that program, in my opinion.

Just my two cents worth....

Pam :cool:

17. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

Is there any way you can sit outside with your kitty for a while?
    I was thinking that if you were to sit and talk to her, that she may relax and come to you to be petted or fed. Then you could pick her up and bring her inside with you.

If not, then I would leave some food and water out on a warm blanket ( or towel). I am sure that she will settle down soon enough and want to come inside where it is warm and comfy. Just the fact that she is under the house and not completely gone, is a real good sign.

18. pamda

pamda Well-Known Member Supporter

i always smile and shake my head at the big bad cats killing wild life. it's what they do. and then there is my cat. he was deserted on a property we were doing an estate auction at. him and 12 others. the grandson thought if he stopped feeding grandma's spoiled kitties they would leave. not. the greater amount of them were so starved and really ill that they were unsaveable. i rescued a really tiny kitten and this big yellow tom cat named putter. was born on a golf course. lol. the kitten did not make it. putter is so great though. but mice and all birds are safe/ he is so lazy he won't scratch fleas. he is a big old baby. the chickens and g. hen rule him and i have to feed him in the house just so he will eat. i love this life.

19. Cygnet

The point of trap-neuter-release is that they're *neutering* the cats.

If you've got a population of ferals in the area, it means it's a good place for feral cats. If you get *rid* of the ferals, you'll just have more, yowling and spraying and fighting. And having tons of kittens.

Spay and neuter them, and you have less fighting, less spraying, and no kittens. No kittens means the queens need to eat substantially less, which means they're healthier and they're killing fewer birds. And since they're already established in that area, they're going to keep *new* ferals from moving in, as even neutered cats are pretty darn territorial.

I caught a ringtail last night with the rotisserie chicken, by the way. PO'd ringtail -- all I saw was a blur headed for safer ground when I let it out. But I saw my kitty this evening, and she's moving pretty good, just incredibly scared. Bolted for her hidey-hole under my house.

Leva

20. Little Quacker in OR

:) So sorry cynet but this is Balogna. I have helped eradicate a number of populations of feral cats and except for the occasional one dumped off they remain gone. And this is in more than just one state.

I had to solve this problem in my own area too and again, except for the dummies who dump one out every couple of years, we have no feral population any more! The songbirds and ground birds are coming back.

The solution is certainly NOT to spend our money by dumping these harmful creatures back into nature. It is to eradicate them..period.

LQ