Catalogs Already???

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Pony, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Okay, did anyone else get their Vermont Bean and Totally Tomatoes catalogs today?

Sheesh! Talk about pushing the season!

Bye, now. I have to go look and see what's new... I'm not going to buy, really... I have lots of seeds...

But it is fun to look!

Pony!

2. countryboy01974

countryboy01974 Well-Known Member

yep got mine today to . have ordered from totally tomato before but never got the vermont bean till this year. is a little early but was glad to get them to look at now i'll be itchin to work in the garden

3. sleeps723

sleeps723 Well-Known Member

i ordered some stuff from burpee, never heard of the others

4. Pony

Oh, I'm almost ALWAYS itchin' to work in the garden! And with the weather being as nice as it's been, I've been out there. Just a little extra blessing from God, I think, to help us through a bit of a rough time here at home. It's supposed to really snow this week, though. We'll see. ;)

I have SO many seeds, though, that I should not be allowed to look at another catalog until I have either planted them all or traded them away!

Pony!

5. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

It's snowing, with almost a foot on the ground and the temperature is *well* below zero. I'm SO glad my catalogs came today!!

6. countryboy01974

countryboy01974 Well-Known Member

I am usually a little burned out from working inthe garden by fall but about this time when the seed catalogs start coming in i get the itch.turnips is about all i grow in the fall. last year i didn't buy a lot of seed for the same reason you don't need to look at a another catalog about all i ordered last year was heirloom tomato seed but this year may be a different story lol

7. Sammy

Sammy Well-Known Member

No, but my Stokes Seed Book came. :)

8. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Got mine yesterday--- i had my orders planned from old catalogs--and thats 2 of the ones i'll order from, now if i would just get territorial, i'd get my orders in before all the others arrive to confuse me. i could get catalogs the day after i put my gardens to bed--just so i could start dreaming about how perfect NEXT year was going to be----

9. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

I've received Stokes, Pinetree Seeds, Thompson & Morgan and the latest was a Johnny's catalog yesterday. I LOVE IT!!!! :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

I've received Pinetree already, but not any of the others.

.....Alan.

11. Pony

Hmm... and now we can start the "check the return address on those catalogs" discussion.

Who owns which company THIS year?

My Vermont Bean and Totally Tomatoes both came from Stroud, WI. Where Jung's and Shumway are located... But Martin mentioned last year that Jung pulled Shumway's bacon out of the fire last year.

Pony!

12. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

The only catalog I've gotten so far is Seedsaver's Exchange. I've never had one of theirs before but ordered from them last spring.

Oh, My! This is going to occupy HOURS, I can tell. I was going to hang curtains "this winter, when it's dreary and I need something to do" but at this rate we'll never have curtains up.

13. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Three or more weeks ago I received my first catalog, a Otis Twilley one. Yesterday I received a Johnny's and had some time to look at it today while on the job courtesy of a snowy and very cold day.

The planters that Johnny's offers this year are great. I especially like the small six row seeder for fine ground or greenhouse planting.

Most of the planters aren't what I would call cheap, but compared to what they do, the somewhat precision and the salaries of today I would probably spring for one if I was younger and could look at it as a lifetime investment.

Treat yourselves folks. Most should last a lifetime with prudent care.

14. Tiffin

Tiffin Well-Known Member

Yes, got two yesterday. I'll probably lose them before I get ready to order.

15. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

This may seem early to us in the snow belt but not for those in the southern zones. I know some gardeners in Texas and Florida who must have their pepper and tomato seeds by Christmas since that's when they start their seeds. So, it all depends upon where you live as to if the catalogs arrive early, on time, or too late.

Martin

16. Colorado

Colorado Well-Known Member

Windy, I am one that is looking in to buying a push seeder. I am 75. If it will let me get done faster and easier it will be worth it. I have a big garden and sell from it. But just a home garden it would be expensive I guess. Most of my garden is plants which it does not do and seed potatoes so how much help it would be to me????. I am debating on it. All the stuff needs to get inground about the same time. I need to get faster.

Will add, I am getting seed cataogs. Will seed the peppers mid-Feb and right after that tomatoes. I will order right after Xmas.

17. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

Today I got Territorial, Totally Tomatoes, and Vermont Bean Seed.

.....Alan.

18. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Guys;I got the same 3.They're all owned by Territorial.I have ordered from Territorial before.TTomatoes has mostly hybrids which I don't grow.I'll probably order from Vermont Bean as well.-

19. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Dick hadn't sold TT & VBS as of the last time I chatted with him. The only company that Territorial owns is Abundant Life Seeds!

Totally Tomatoes has 262 varieties, up from 244 for 2005 and 246 in 2006. For 2007, there are 105 hybrids and 157 open-pollinated. However, one variety is listed under 2 different names due to an industry-wide error.

Martin

20. cathyharrell

cathyharrell Well-Known Member

Kaleidoscope sweet pepper mix, pimento, Pinetree hot pepper mix, and two different chards ordered from Pinetree so far.