Cat w/conjunctivitis

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by dcross, Dec 8, 2006.

1. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Just got back from the vet, Seymour the one-eyed Wonder has conjunctivitis. No damage to the eye, and we have ointment for it. My question is, can this be contagious to a dog or us? Reading on the net it sounds unlikely for the dog, but a chance of us catching it. Thanks!

2. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

It depends on what is causing the conjunctivitis. Allergies can cause conjunctivitis but that's not contagious while Chlamydia can also cause conjunctivitis but IS potentially contagious. I would just wash my hands well after handling the cat.

3. insocal

insocal Well-Known Member

Free advice from a cat vet, lol:

The vast majority of eye problems in cats are due to Feline Herpesvirus. This is the most common of the feline respiratory viruses. Antibiotics will neither help nor hurt.

Currently I put all these kitties on L-lysine. It's an amino acid (a nutrient) not a drug. It acts by blocking uptake of arginine, which is an amino acid essential to herpesvirus replication. It controls, but does not cure the infection. I have been taking lysine over two years to control my cold sores (due to human herpesvirus) and it works like a charm.

Lysine is available over the counter, and I usually dispense the flavored gel in the dial-a-dose syringes (Enisyl-F) but as an alternative you can get it in capsules and mix the powder inside the capsules into canned food.

Dose in an adult cat is 500 mg twice a day until symptoms subside, then 500 mg once a day to maintain (this can safely b e given FOR LIFE if need be).

Try it.

4. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the advice! What would dosage be for a person?:)