Cat (Vet) question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tallpines, Nov 19, 2004.

1. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

We have what seems to be a perfectly healthy young cat-----about 8 months old ---a stray we've had for about 2 months.

EXCEPT----several times a day she "blows her nose" or sort of sneezes---sending a large mucous slug in inappropriate places.

I CAN'T have this inside the house!

Is she just prone to sinus troubles or might this be a low grade infection that can be cured?

As I said "I can't have this in my house" and I anguish over the possible need to make her a barn cat or have her put to sleep.

Any ideas?

2. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

She apparently has an upper respiratory infection. Best bet is to have her checked out and probably on a course of antibiotics though it may be coronovirus and not much to do about that except they outgrow it at about 12-18 months so my vet says.

3. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

Maybe she is allergic to something that is inside your house. I had a kitten that did the same thing, but once I vacuumed the house really good and she seemed to stop.

4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Take her to your vet. She probably needs shots anyway. Bring in a fecal sample so they can check for worms. What you describe could be allergies, but it could also indicate a VERY sick kitty.

5. deb

deb Well-Known Member

Good grief, if you had a child doing this in the house, would you take them to the doctor or send them out to the barn to live?

The cat has an upper respiratory infection which will require a course of antibiotics to cure. Upper respiratory infections are easily spread among stray cats so it isn't a suprise that she has one. BTW - sending her out to the barn would probably be a death sentence for her because living in cold conditions is much harder on sick cats.

Take her to the vet and get some meds. Meds, warmth, good food and love are all she needs right now.
    deb
    in wi

6. feycat

feycat Well-Known Member

Yep, URI or allergies.

I had a cat who did but I just cleaned up after him. A little gross but so are babies and kids if you come to think of it. Then again I had that cat for 18 years.

7. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

If you haven't already, have the cat tested for Feline Leukemia and FIV. Either or both can be the reason behind chronic respiratory problems.

Good luck

8. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Yep---I intend to get an appointment made on Monday.
    She has grown like a weed and her fur has gotten so silky since we took her in 7 weeks ago.
    The cold she had cleared up nicely and I was hoping this would also.
    I just hope antibiotics will fix it.
    She has really found a spot in out hearts----until she sneezes first thing in the morning and that GLOB hits ya in the face before you're fully awake :eek:

9. feycat

feycat Well-Known Member

*giggles*

Yep been there, after a real good um "talking to" from my dad our cat sneezed right in his coffee. Sadly I didn't have time to catch him before he drank it. *G* Maybe the bruises he just gave me made my talking muscles slow.

*LOL*