cat urine in ficus

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by livincountry, Jan 1, 2007.

1. livincountry

livincountry Member

Neighbor's cat is urinating in his ficus, put a stop to that yet would like to help the tree.

Any suggestions on neutralizing the urine in the container? I realize after a week of this that some damage is done but would like to do what I can. I have searched this site and the net and not come up w/much other than drenching the urine out of the plant, which is in a very heavy pot I can't move......Was hoping there's some kinda of baking soda/vinegar, etc mix w/water to run thru .

Any help appreciate and happy new year to everyone!

2. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Can you dig out the soil and replace it with fresh?

3. blue gecko

blue gecko Well-Known Member

A weak vinegar solution helps alot. I've used it before with a 12 foot ficus in the solarium and had no ill effects. It really neutralized the smell/ammonia.

4. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

flush flush flush

5. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Changing the soil will help, but Paranoid's right: Flush the daylights out of it, because the smell lingers in the leaves.

I have a rubber tree the kitten decided made a most excellent litter box. It took a good three or four months of flushing to get it back to pre-kitty condition (don't forget to feed with all that water).

I now put foil around the bottom of the large plants when I bring them in the house. Cats don't like the feel of that on their paws.

Pony!

6. livincountry

livincountry Member

Thanks for the replies! I will dig out some of the soil...problem is I can't move the plant, it is in a BIG pot, so flushing repeatedly is out of the question. Hopefully the vinegar suggestion will work. So far no leaves have dropped off and that is suprising! Good info for future ref, thanks ya'll!