Cat thinks Container Garden's are his Litter Box

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MountainMama, Apr 28, 2005.

1. MountainMama

MountainMama Well-Known Member

I've tried everything to keep my adopted stray cat out of my container gardens. He is so sweet but I can't have him using my food gardens for his restroom.

I'm getting ready to plant for this year and just mixed up all my soil and put it in and he was fighting me all the way wanting me "OUT" of his space. He even started to dig in the dirt of the one I just filled while I was working on another container.

They are about 15 feet long and about 3 feet wide and are lifted about 2 feet off the ground. Any suggestions?

MountainMama

2. Cheri in NY

Cheri in NY Well-Known Member

You could try a piece of chicken wire cut to the entire size of the planter. Lay in down right on top of the soil before you put any seeds or plants in. This worked for a small spot I had pansies and the chickens didn't like digging there anymore. :grump:

3. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

You could try laying chicken wire on top of the beds. Your cat will give upscratching fairly quickly as it is hard on their paws.

Mike

4. gleepish

gleepish Well-Known Member

from: http://www.fixourferals.org/index.php?pager=10_tips

10 Tips For Keeping Cats Out Of Yards & Gardens

Here are some helpful suggestions for neighbors who wish to keep cats out of their yards and gardens.

Cat Stop® is an ultrasonic, battery-operated cat repellent with a motion detector. See the SafePetProducts Web site to read more about this highly recommended product.

Push wooden chopsticks or 10-inch plant stakes into flowerbeds every eight inches to discourage digging and scratching.

Cats dislike citrus smells. Scatter orange and lemon peels or spray with citrus-scented spray. You can also scatter citrus-scented pet bedding such as Citrafresh.

Coffee grounds and pipe tobacco also work to repel cats. Some people have also suggested lavender oil, lemon grass oil, citronella oil, eucalyptus oil and mustard oil.

Spray cat repellent (available at pet supply stores) around the edges of the yard, the top of fences, and on any favorite digging areas or plants. For information call your local animal supply store or PetsMart Corporate Office at 602-580-6100 or visit them on-line at www.petsmart.com.

Cover exposed ground in flowerbeds with large attractive river rocks to prevent cats from digging (they have the added benefit of deterring weeds).

Plant the herb "rue" to repel cats, or sprinkle the dried herb over the garden.

Use a motion-activated sprinkler. Any cat coming into the yard will be sprayed but unharmed and it is good for the lawn. If you are unable to find one, telephone Contech at 1-800-767-8568 to find out how to order one.

A garden repellent called Reppers, manufactured in Holland by Beaphar, is available at PetsMart, petsmart.com, pets.com, Foster & Smith or your local pet store. Reppers retails for $19.95.

A non-chemical cat and wildlife repellent called CatScat is made of plastic mats that are pressed into the soil. Each mat, complete with flexible plastic spikes, is cut into four pieces. The spikes are harmless to cats and other animals, but are effective in discouraging excavation. They are sold in packages of 5 for $12.95 from Gardener's Supply Company, at www.gardeners.com or 1-800-863-1700.

-------

The plastic spike things work well for Rabbits too--got them for my Granny last year! :)

5. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

We had the same problem, but indoors :no:

Nearby, dig up an area, it can be under a bush. make the dirt real easy to dig into. When the cat is sniffing around the containers, pick him up and gently place him on the new dirt pile. A cat that wants to use containers has probably been litter trained, so adding some kitty litty over the top of the broken up dirt will help to give him the idea. Once our cat used the outdoor litter box she stopped using the indoor (potted plants) boxes.

When the "new litterbox" is full, he will continue to use the outdoors, probably under bushes, but possibly your vegetable garden. You can't get diseases from using the poop as fertilizer, but you'll want to wear gloves when digging in your veg garden, if he uses it as a toilet.