Homesteading Forum banner

Cat Safe Pain Relief?

480 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  RandB 
#1 ·
My bestfriend sent me this email about her cat. She said her vet is closed and she is at work now. Is there anything she can give him for the pain? I know you can't give cats just anything for pain. But is there anything that is not something you have to get from a vet?

"I can feel his back bone and a lump near his left ribcage and when he walks he kind of drags his left rear leg and his back is hunched up - he looks like he's in a lot of pain."

Thank you for any help you can give me. He is a really great cat.

katlupe

#2 ·
I use mullein flower tea for pain in cats. It's safe, and it relaxes them as well. Rather than pop for the $20.00 pain shot if I have one in for surgery, (which will only last a few hours anyway) I give a teaspoon of mullein flower infusion usually twice a day. They relax, their pain seems to decrease, and they heal quicker.

The last time I used it was when we took our two babies in to have them spayed and neutered. The female needed a total of three doses (2 the first day and one the following day) probably because her surgery was more invasive and painful. But then she was back up playing and frisking. The little male only needed one dose. He slept on the back of the couch for 8 hours and got up refreshed and good as new, tearing around the house looking for something to destroy. :rolleyes:

Anyway, if you can get it, I've found it to be completely safe and I've used it for years for my own cats. It's one of the few things I'll give them, because they ARE so sensitive to just about everything.

I realize your friend's cat has some serious issues, and it's not just a matter of healing up from neutering, but I know it relieves pain, and it will help to relax him as well (maybe keep him off his feet for a while and allow him to rest).

~Lannie

#3 ·
Kat,

I don't know if this is too late to help, I hope your friend got help for her cat. My vet has told me I could give a cat one BABY or low-dose aspirin (81 mg). NOT an adult aspirin! Then, you cannot give the cat any more aspirin for at least 72 hours. Cats' bodies break down medicine differently than dogs or humans. It takes 3 days for the cat to use up the one baby aspirin. If you give it any more than that, it will cause an overdose. They absolutely should not have aceteminiphen (Tylenol) or Ibuprofen or any other OTC pain med - it could kill the cat.
I hope she got it to the vet. From the description, it could be an abcess, a tumor, or injury such as hit by a car or something. Let us know how it turns out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.