Cat Question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by dovelove, Aug 10, 2005.

1. dovelove

dovelove Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure what forum to post this on, so I thought I'd post it here.

I recently moved my horses to a new boarding barn, as the old one was closing. The owner of the new barn agreed to take the 2 cats from the old barn. We have already moved one of the cats. She was put in a big wire cage (like a big dog crate), to get accustomed to the tack room. I have been letting her out to explore the tack room daily, and she seems fine. Here's the problem- I think she is going to run away if I let her outside. This barn is really close to a road and I'm worried that she will wander onto the road and get hit. Is there any way to train her to stay inside of the barn?

Thanks,
    Alie

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Train a cat????? (where are the little laughing faces when I need them!)

I think if you keep a lot of mice in the barn, the cat will stay there.

3. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

Everyone I've ever talked to said to keep them in the house, cage, crate, etc. for 2 weeks. Lavishing food & treats, too. After the 2 weeks & good food. THey should want to stay put. As to staying in the barn, like Cabin Fever said, Good Luck!! :D :D

My cats like to sit in the middle of the road & groom themselves! :viking:

Tricia

4. exegeses

exegeses Well-Known Member

It's their independent nature. She'll probably still wander & roam but come back for the food. The only chance I could see to keep her around is if there are people around the barn a lot and she likes attention (providing she gets it, of course!).

5. via media

via media Tub-thumper

If the cats are two old/wild to be moved indoors, PLEASE find a safer home for them. I see all kinds of roadkill, particularly cats and dogs, and it just breaks my heart. If you are taking responsibility for relocating them then you are also taking responsibility for finding a safe home for them.

Short of gluing their tails to the wall, there is no way you will be able to keep them in the barn. Please don't set them up to get run over and killed (or mostly killed, which also happens a lot). Please. :(

/VM