Cat question...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ginnie5, Aug 16, 2004.

1. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

ok I need help here ot these two cats are going to be homeless! They have decide that our driveway is their litterbox. we have small white rocks in the drive and they are digging in them and doing their business. Dh is rather annoyed to say the least. It also stinks and we can't go in the drive without having watch where we are stepping. Which is bad when you have kids that like to go barefoot. I know the cats are upset because they got "booted" out of the house. One of them regardless of what we used was so flea infested that we got them in the house. As soon as I put her out though she doesn't have fleas (and yes I have looked really good) she was pulling fur out they were so bad inside. Now her coat looks good again. There's no way to keep them away from the driveway so i have to find a way to amke them "go" somewhere else. Any suggestions before dh gets rid of them?

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Plant a new flower bed?
    Make the kids a sandbox?

3. ginnie5

either side of the steps and the driveway runs right up to the steps. I guess I could make a sandbox just for the cats across the road. No way is dh gonna have it where he has to smell it though and I don't know that they will take the trouble to walk to one.

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Mine like something loose to use. They would go under the cedar trees in the duff, because that was loose. They also like the sawdust I used for mulch. After you make them something and show it to them, try sprinkling ammonia in the driveway until they break the habit of going there.

5. Linda Camello

Linda Camello Well-Known Member

Ginnie5....I implore of you!! Do NOT put anything "across the road" for the cats to use!! Are you trying to get them run over??!!! I love cats very much and that is the wrong thing to do!! Are they spayed & neutered? I would suggest that you give them to the humane shelter since you are unable to keep them inside and protected from the bad things that are out there.

6. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

spray lemon juice in the driveway. Cats dislike citrus.

7. Try putting out a covered litter box, with just a little litter in it (so its gets full fast ) near where you would like them to so their business, maybe a hole with sand in it,then when their llitter box is full they will use the area you want them to use, because they don't like a dirty litter box. take away the box and presto, cats that use the outdoors!

8. ginnie5

guess I should have said "across" the road is the road that we and our neighbors use as a joint driveway. Not really a road.

9. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

EXACTLY! If these were housecats before, they are used to having a litterbox. When we moved out here and put the cats outside (they were tearing up the new furniture) we provided them their litterbox...moving it closer and closer to the garage door. We even continued to provide it outside the garage door until they were no longer using it. EASY FIX. Cats can be trained...you just have to think like a cat.

10. daileyjoy

daileyjoy Well-Known Member

Are they your cats? If not can you trap them and give them to the shelter. If they happen to be male and female you could be looking at having a real cat problem one day.

Jennifer

11. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

How about a nice refreshing glass of sun tea on the porch.. WITH THE GARDENHOSE in your hand? Wait for 'em to get all 'hunkered up' to poop.. and blast em with the water. They'll Learn!! And YOU get entertained. :):)