Cat peeing!!

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by barnyardfun, Sep 1, 2006.

1. barnyardfun

barnyardfun Happy Homemaker Supporter

HELP!! We adopted my indoor cat from the animal shelter almost a year ago. He is almost 2 years old. He is litter box trained and has always been fine until recently. All of a sudden he has started peeing all over the house!! He has one certain spot that he just keeps repeatedly going on and then he has gone another place once. MY HOUSE STINKS!! :grump: He still goes in his litter box and he does not poop anywhere else but in the box. WHAT IS HIS PROBLEM!?? Is he marking his territory or something?? (BTW he is a nutered male) Please help me figure out what is going on or I am going to have to make my precious baby and outside kitty.

Also.....how do you get cat pee smell out of the carpet??!!

2. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

First, has anything changed in your house? New job, new pet, new carpet, new cat litter, new child, etc.... Second, does he have problems urinating? Blood in urine? Sometimes if they have problems with stones, they will go other places to get your attention.

The best stuff out to get rid of cat odor is Petastic. (it is the Nature's Miracle formula. Nature's Miracle doesn't work any more) It is a natural enzyme that eats the odor. It will smell stronger as it works so don't panic.

3. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    First, clean the cat box, scrub it, and put in the brand of litter that he was using before the problems started. Either put the box over his chosen pee-spot, or put newspaper there for now, after thoroughly cleaning that area with an enzymatic pee-smell remover.

Second, take the cat to the vet to rule out any physical problems.

Third, peeing outside the box in a house-trained cat with no medical problems is a sign of stress. From the cat's point of view, something has changed. It could be a new thing in the house, a change in routine, a new brand of litter or food. It could also be something outside the house, like a new neighborhood cat or wild predator that your cat saw through the window.

Since peeing is a sign of stress, the *worst* possible thing you can do is punish the cat. That will only stress and confuse him, making the problem worse. Instead, redirect. When he goes to his pee spot, squirt him with a squirt bottle (without any warning) so that he thinks that magic squirts appear out of nowhere if he goes there. What you are trying to do here is not to punish him, but to break his train of thought.

"Ah, gotta pee in the cor...AK! I'm wet! What happened? Oh, wait a minute, what was I doing again?"

At that moment of confusion, you need to intervene, pick him up, and deliver him to his cat box. Verbally praise him if he uses it, but give him space as cats don't like to be crowded when they do their toileting.

Alternatively to squirt and relocate, you can put his box over the cleaned spot where he used to pee on the floor. Leave it there for a week, then every 3 or 4 days move it away from there toward to its usual spot, a few feet at a time. Make sure only an idiot would miss seeing the box's new location from its old one. Praise him verbally whenever you catch him using the box, and squirt him if he starts sniffing around his cleaned pee-spot.

Cats do not respond to any punishment harsher than a hiss or growl. They only respond to interrupt, redirect, and praise, or to being 'fooled', which is what you're doing when you put the cat box on top of his forbidden pee spot. Right now he's keyed to that spot and its smell--when you clean up the smell, he'll still be keyed to the spot, but put the litter box in that spot, and over time he'll re-key to the box and the box smell, and follow where the box goes, forgetting about the spot. In a way, its a longer, slower 'interruption' of his train of thought.

4. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Oh, and a hiss or growl isn't really punishment, it is establishing what the rule is, or reminding of what the rule is. Cat psychology is very different from dogs.

5. barnyardfun

barnyardfun Happy Homemaker Supporter

Thank you very much for all the info!! I will get started right away with the suggestions.

No, I do not know of anything that has really changed around here but he may have a different point of view! :rolleyes:

6. Windy_jem

Windy_jem Well-Known Member Supporter

He probably has crystals in his bladder...he needs to see the vet for a urine test and antibiotics ASAP...
    Neutered males will get these. I know, I have 3 neutered male cats...

7. kirsten

kirsten Well-Known Member

Every male cat I own at around a year of age has gone through a house peeing phase. I have one right now going through it or done now actually. I have owned three male cats, all neutered. One of my male cats repeated the phase when I got a puppy so I had two pooping and peeing around! That was fun. Something is probably stressing him out but what helped me to change the pattern and get them back to normal was setting an air freshner like citrus burst right on every spot and in every corner, that and powdered carpet freshner.

8. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Don't clean the area with bleach...it sems to attract cat pee.

9. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

I can sympathize. I am going through the same thing with my spayed 9 yo female. She was doing wonderfully and then all of a sudden she decided one of my antique chairs was a place to pee. :flame: I use nilodor concentrate- gets out the cat urine smell without making it worse. She was doing better for a few days, then decided the garden basket on the floor was a good place- right in front of me. I put her in a crate with her box at that point. Will then place her in the bathroom with her box for a week and then let her have free run again. I think hers is more hormonal though- she was spayed late and was wailing like she was in season right when this all started.

10. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Oy vey! If you look up some of my posts in this forum, you'll read about Brat the Cat and his spraying!

Golden Mom gave me some insight. He was spraying the outer doors because he was stressed from seeing and smelling the outside cats, no doubt. I first cleaned the areas with a solution BUT YOU CAN'T USE IT ON CARPETING OR FABRIC BECAUSE I'D IMAGINE IT WILL BLEACH THE COLOR OUT. Use a commercial urine remover.

That didn't work completely with Brat because the outside cats are still around. As a last resort, I put down sheets of aluminum foil in front of the doors and he hasn't sprayed since.

First, have the vet check the cat for a medical problem.

11. dixiedoodle

dixiedoodle Well-Known Member

You can also use a vinager solution. Keep using it over the spot. After a while the smell is gone.