Cat peeing where ever

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by kidsngarden, Dec 19, 2006.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

We have two cats that are indoor/outdoor. One very big litter box that the litter (just the cheapest kind) is changed every week and the solids are taken out daily. Since the weather has been so nasty the cats have been in more than out. The male is totally fine with using the litter box, but the female just thinks she can pee where ever there is soemthing too fluff. I've seen her use the box and in the past we have rarely found a surprise somewhere else. She never poops outside the box. She'll pee in a box or recycling papers, a towel on the floor (we use it to wipe the dogs' feet), laundry, my son left his coat on the floor once and she peed on that. I'm really getting ticked off here! Do I need to change the litter brand or what?

Oh, and I was thinking maybe she had a urinary tract infection, but my dog has had that and she was peeing all the time. That isn't the case here. It's like this cat just thinks she owns the place or something.

Pretty tired of the pee!

kids

2. mj1angier

mj1angier Well-Known Member

I would get the UTI ruled out first. It maybe a simple infection or it might be stones. Get an exam and urine work up done. If this comes up neg then it might be behavirol.
    I would try a couple things- 1.Have you tried a diffrent brand of cat litter? cats are picky and don't like a lot of change, maybe this one has a diffrent scent. 2.Get a second litter box. Cats are not pack animals- they need space that can be there own.

3. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Few questions for you before I can offer anything really constructive.... though she definitely needs a second box, and I might step up the litter quality.

Is she spayed?
    Is the male neutered?
    How old is she?

She may have a UTI or urinary calculi... diet plays a big role in those, too. I'd take her to the vet.

4. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Since she's choosing her spots as, basically, cloth on the floor, I suspect the cause is one of territoriality and dominance.

She needs her own litterbox, away from the one used by the Tom.

5. katwhisperer

katwhisperer Member

I have a female cat who has none of the obvious problems but she also pees on any fabric lying on the floor. She does not have UTI, I have cats who had that problem (its scary), she just has an attitude. She sits down, looks you in the eye, and almost dares me to say anything. She doesn't stop, just looks at you til she's done. With this cat, I believe she wants my attention. Since she's now treated like a diva, she isn't peeing...do you think your cat could be asking for more attention?

6. kidsngarden

If this cat wants attention she has a funny way of showing it! She runs if you try to pet her. She will only let you pet her on her terms and that isn't very often. Except my youngest son, she loves him and climbs up to his top bunk to sleep with him.

I was told that you can have a two cat litter box. How come she will pee in it sometimes and always poops in it? And she used this same box with this same cat all last winter too. this is a different litter though. I think I will try switching the litter because I have a small house and don't want two boxes.

Yes, she is spayed. She is probably 3-4 years old (rescued cat). The Tom is fixed.

I will keep watching for UTI signs. But the same dog that had the UTI had stones and she would go outside and just sit there trying to pee FOREVER, then get up and go to a new place and try to pee again. Then before we could get her in for surgery she began having accidents in the house and actually passed a stone. I just don't see any signs of this since with jazzy since she is being particular about where she pees.

Thanks for your help.

kids

7. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Most times you CAN have 2 cats in 1 box, but adding 1 or more boxes is ALWAYS one of the first things that I recommend with a cat displaying inappropriate urination (OK AFTER the vet exam clearing the cat of medical issues). It is very common for a cat to use the box to poop but not urinate. Sometimes cats get very picky, oftentimes for no reason apparent to the owner. I would definitely try a second box (even if just for a short time) and put the old litter in the second box. If that solves the problem try just the old litter, if not you will have to get more aggressive. It is advised that you scoop the box(es) at least once if not more times a day. Start over with a washed litter box and new litter weekly. Try varying depths of litter. Try totally different kinds of litter (if you normally use standard clumping try corn based or paper based or whatever but always keep one box with the cat's "regular" litter in case it doesn't like the new stuff). Clean the "accidents" with an enzymatic cleaner and keep the cat away from those spots (or in this case keep all clothing, etc picked up off the floor-if your kids can't remember to do this, keep their bedroom doors closed). Sometimes you need to confine a cat for a week or two in a small room with a box to "retrain" it to the box. After that time, slowly let the cat have more freedom but watch it constantly at first.

8. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Look at the bright side. Sounds like a good way to train your kids to keep their clothes off the floor. :D

9. kidsngarden

HMMM, I think it would be easier to train the cat to pee in the box! :)

kids

10. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

I had a cat like this. It's a personality thing. Wanting to mark areas with their scent and discourage the other two cats. I had enough after trying everything under the sun to get it to stop.

The cat is now doing great, after it was placed into a single pet household. I still check up via email with the family I gave the cat to.