Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earl Grey has had a rough two weeks, he was hit by a car, suffered a broken leg and subsequent surgery to repair it..that seems to be doing better and he is getting around..but in the last three days he is not eating...seems to have a very congested nose...his eyes are clear and he is responsive...has been on amoxicillan and for the past three days, baytril...the antibiotics were just a precaution after the surgery...any ideas on how to encourage him to eat? and is there anything we can do for the congestion? also what is the best way to give a cat a pill? thanks..gwithrow

L

·
0 Posts
When I have a cat that won't eat, I offer them things like cottage cheese, raw liver, tuna, and sardines. Anything at all that will tempt them. It's very dangerous for a cat to go too long without eating; their liver will shut down and if that happens it's extremely difficult to save them.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Ladycat is right about the dangers of a cat not eating. In addition to her suggestions baby food (meat variety with no added onions or onion powder) works well for many cats. You may need to syringe feed the kitty if it won't eat on it's own.

There are also appetite stimulants. The most common one is an antihistamine, so your vet might not want to use it if the cat is congested (could dry out the mucous and make things worse).

Putting the cat in a steamy room (ie the bathroom while the shower is running hot) could help break up the mucous and make it easier for the cat to sneeze it out.

As for pilling a cat: Put the cat up on a table or counter (comfortable working height). If the cat uses it's paws or squirms a lot wrap the cat in a towel. I hold the cat either by the head or the scruff (very high up). Lift the front end of the cat up a bit and tip the head back. Hold the pill in your dominant hand between the thumb and first finger. Use the middle finger on this hand to pull down on the lower jaw. Drop the pill as far back and as deep as possible. Immediately after dropping the pill, poke your index finger over the pill to force the cat to swallow. Do not release the cat's head or scruff until the cats noticably swallows or licks it's nose.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took some tuna up to him and he drank the juice and licked at the tuna...he takes his amoxicillan from a syringe and that is a good idea and I will try that..maybe some yogurt...if his appetite is not improved tomorrow I will take him back to the vet...I am ready for him to be better, I am sure he is ready to be better as well...I will try to get the baytril in him now...the pill thing is not as easy as the syringe...do you suppose this is just a cold? seems like the baytril and the other would knock just about anything out...we have come this far so I am still hoping for the best..thanks..

·
Registered
185 Posts
in his intestines. Sounds like he used up several ofhis nine lives so far. My little guy Johann (pronounced Yo-Hahn ) ate a vole that blocked his intestines. It took surgury and a weeks stay at the vets to cure him. It was about four days without eating before the surgury, and he bounced right back, and he's still lookong for more of those delicious voles :nono:

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
This will sound strange, but there's hardly a kitty born that can turn down KFC... yep, Kentucky Fried Chicken.
Sounds like he has a bit of an upper respiratory going on, likely picked that up from the vet... see if you can get him to eat baby food, and grind up 250 mg of Lysine in it. Works wonders.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts