Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're predicting very cold nights for the rest of this week--15 degrees tonight and 8 tomorrow night, I think. I'm concerned about my kitty who lives outdoors. I can bring the dogs onto the back porch or even inside the house, but the outside-cat will fight with my other three inside-cats.

She usually sleeps in a small plastic dog crate that I turned into a cathouse. It has straw inside and a little insulation along the outside, all wrapped up with tin over top as an extra roof. It's waterproof and fine in "normal cold", but it doesn't seem like that could be warm enough in temperatures this cold.

I've never had an outside cat before. Suggestions, please?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took the door off when I put it outside.

I do have a regular cat crate that I might use, but she's turned into a furious, howling maniac when I used it after she was spayed. (She's friendly but not very tame--just a barn cat that I agreed to take when the owners moved. Only I don't have a barn.) I guess I could do that if I can't think of anything else. I might have to. She and my other cats have already torn up my screen door trying to fight through it. I can imagine what a night would be like with the other three cats prowling around her crate and her locked up in it trying to pick a fight throught the bars! Still, it would be better than freezing...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Add some outside insulation to the outside of the crate and throw a blanket over the entire crate with just a tiny spot to get in. If the sleeping area is small enough, her body heat will warm the space up....and she should be fine, especially since she is used to being outside and has a nice winter coat. It sounds like a whole lot of unnessecary stress to try and bring her inside. Normally I would say bring her in but the stress may be more traumatic than the cold.

Willow101

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
Add some outside insulation to the outside of the crate and throw a blanket over the entire crate with just a tiny spot to get in. If the sleeping area is small enough, her body heat will warm the space up....and she should be fine, especially since she is used to being outside and has a nice winter coat. It sounds like a whole lot of unnessecary stress to try and bring her inside. Normally I would say bring her in but the stress may be more traumatic than the cold.

Willow101
What Willow said! We have a cat or two like that outside and we just throw an extra blanket or three over the house.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mmm... good idea, Willow. I'm pretty sure I can find a spare blanket or two, and I'll figure out how to make the opening smaller.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Are you even sure she sleep in it. My outside cat had a small wood dog house with a shingle roof and a little porch on it. He won't even go in it. There hasn't been dogs in it in at least 8 years. That's how long I've had it. My other cat use to lay in it in the day time. But I think Tiger prowles at night.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
My biggest consern with outside cats or cats that have gotten outside in the cold is frostbite of the ears. I had one cat come home with it after he got out and he lost both ear tips....and this was a himilayan. I would place her in the crate and wrap it up as Willow101 said. These below 0 temps are horrible! We are getting wind chills down to negative 33 and I am worried about chickens, turkeys (who still insist on roosting in the open) and rabbits. The dogs will be fine with thier thick coats and straw, locked in the kennel building. I am bringing up my smooth boy and little guy still though and a chicken with a bum leg. All my cats are indoor cats so no worries there.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I got my son's girlfriend's housecat when she went away to college. I took a large tote box and cut a small hole. Put in a pillow, some old clothes and covered the door with an old Tshirt AND I put a hunter's pillow in there. Then it got colder so I put some insulation type stuff on the inside... it looks like bubblewrap made of aluminum foil. It has been 20 below here at night and the cat is doing well. Again, she was an indoor cat so she doesn't have a winter coat but is doing great.
Oh, I forgot, to keep her away from my cat, I put her in a large cage surrounded by bales of hay and covered by a tarp. I'm at the point where I don't lock her in the cage anymore. The water in the bowl hasn't frozen solid yet with this arrangement.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hope everyone's kitties are staying warm. Your ideas worked!

I put a quilt, folded double, over the cat's crate, thickened the straw bedding inside, piled leaves around the outside, and covered the opening to make a small hole. She slept toasty warm inside. I checked her before bed each night; she was always curled inside, and I could feel the temperature difference when I put my hand inside the crate.

Thanks again for the helpful advice. :goodjob:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts