Cat in Heating Ducts

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Freeholder, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Any ideas on how to coax him out?!?

This is my Grandmother's 17-y-o cat, Casey. She's away right now, visiting my uncle -- if anything happens to Casey while she's gone, she'll never forgive me! (I'm pretty fond of the old boy myself.)

I had shut him into Grandma's bathroom to eat his canned food in peace (my younger cat will steal if if she can), and forgot to let him out. He clawed up the grill over the heat duct and got out that way; now he's in the ductwork under the house! I've opened all the grills I can get to -- hopefully he'll find his way out. There isn't much space under the house, and I'm claustrophobic, so going under there and disconnecting ducts isn't an option.

Kathleen

2. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

put a can of cat food (the stinky kind) just outside a duct, the smell will lead it out when its hungry.

3. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

Is there any way you might get hold of a wolverine?

4. garnetmoth

garnetmoth Well-Known Member

oh and turn off the heat! they may track towards the furnace and end up ... badly!

I think our girl was trying to climb into the wall grate last night, pulled it out! scared her away but im so glad she didnt get into the vent.

Good Luck!

5. FrontPorch

FrontPorch Well-Known Member

I was also going to suggest tuna. My cat will come running from the other end of the house for tuna.

6. Harry Chickpea

Harry Chickpea Well-Known Member Supporter

Leaf blower at the furnace?

7. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

OGGIE!!! There is coffee snort ALL over my monitor!!! Bad boy! Bad!

8. Freeholder

Oggie! (Slap hands!)

I'm going to try the tuna, but this is a spoiled cat. And he's not terribly hungry at the moment! I have the heat off, but hope he comes out soon, as the house is starting to cool off (it's not much above freezing outside). He was right here to the opening in my bedroom, but wouldn't come any closer, and has turned around and gone somewhere else -- he's crying and wants out, but doesn't seem to be able to figure it out. (How on earth did he get IN there!?!)

Thanks for the ideas, everyone (not you, Oggie!).

Kathleen

(Does anyone besides me ever wonder if Oggie really loves cats, but pretends otherwise just to get attention?)

9. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I wouldnt do anything but wait.
    If you put food out, he may eat and go back in.
    If you just wait he will get hungry or thirsty and come out on his own

10. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

yup, I think you're right.

I would sit there and call to him. Let us know how it turns out.

11. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

I can't really hear any of you.

12. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

:rock:

I about had a coffee coated monitor!!! (But it would work!)

13. ELOCN

ELOCN Well-Known Member

I hope and pray that this old kitkat can find his way out of the ductwork!

14. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I understand the claustrophobia, Kathleen, but for heaven's sakes can't you get a friend, neighbour or someone to go down there and disconnect the heating duct to let the poor boy out? I hate the thought of him stuck down there....

15. watcher

watcher de oppresso liber

What kinds of duct work do you have? Unless you have metal ducting (and very few houses do) the odds are he will claw his way out through the duct and under the house. If he doesn't come out on his own by in the morning you need to find someone to go under the house and find him. If not you might just find you'll be hiring a HVAC company to come out and replace some ducting.

16. Freeholder

Our neighbors are all elderly and my friends all live in town, at least twenty minutes away. I hate to ask someone to drive that far to crawl under the house! If Casey isn't out by tomorrow, I may have to try to go under myself. I don't think a day or two under there will kill him, but I'm going to have to turn the heat back on pretty soon!

Tuna doesn't seem to be enough incentive for him to come out.

Kathleen

17. Freeholder

We've already had to do that once! Somehow water got into the insulation under the house AND into the ductwork, and there was a hole in the duct pipe (the expandable, flexible stuff, you are right that we don't have all-metal ductwork), and it ended up that only one side of the house (a manufactured home) had heat!

Kathleen

18. wombatcat

wombatcat Well-Known Member

We do have metal ductwork, and had a very scared stray cat that I had taken in go into our ductwork. We could hear him meowing and we tried the stinky food, but that didn't work--like this cat, our kitty didn't seem to be able to figure out where to go.

We knew where in the duct kitty was, so DH took a ruler and tapped on the duct on the side where we didn't want the kitty to go. Since he was scared, he scooted a little farther away from the tapping. DH tapped until kitty came out of the duct :)

Two years later, best kitty ever :p

I hope by the time you read this, that you have a kitty back.

19. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

If a friend called me and told me her cat was in a heating duct..I'd come right over if I lived an hour away ! That's what friends are for..:)..besides..where you do think we older folks get all these stories anyway? LOL..

So children..there I was all bundled up beside the fireplace and then Kathleen called..guess what? her Grandmother's cat was stuck in a heating vent..

(granchildren looking up in awe).."So Grammy, what DID you do?" ...

20. watcher

watcher de oppresso liber

One winter I had my outside cats get under the house and they clawed into the duct work to keep warm. Was a real mess.