Cat: Hairballs That Won't Go Away

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by MsPacMan, Dec 31, 2005.

1. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

I have a part Russian Blue cat who, for some reason, just cannot seem to hold down his food unless I give him oily tuna.

I've tried putting hairball ointment on his lips and on his paws, and even when I am successful at getting him to actually ingest the ointment rather than throwing it all around the house, it still seems to do little or no good.

The cat cries because he is hungry, but he eats and then throws the food up.

What can I do?

Last time I brought him to the vet about this, the vet just gave me a tube of that ointment and said all will be fine. He can't seem to grasp that the ointment (a flavored vaseline product) just isn't doing the job.

2. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

The hairball treatment SHOULD work IF you get it down the cat. A little on his paws or lips will do nothing. He needs 2-3 cc (ask your vet for a syringe) at least 2-3 times a week. The best way to give it if they won't take it willingly (my cats won't either) is to put the laxative in a syringe (pull the end off and fill a 3 cc syringe up to the 1 cc mark, then put the end back on) and hold kitty by the scruff and actually put the laxative in his mouth. Only give 1/2 to 1 cc then stop to let him swallow and repeat until gone.

Also maybe he has food allergies. Try different diets and see if you can find one he can tolerate. Experiment with kibble sizes, some diets have larger kibble and some have smaller.

3. zookeeper16

zookeeper16 Karaoke Queen

I agree with trying a different diet. Also cod liver oil helps too!

4. misslinda

misslinda Well-Known Member

Yes....I have to agree....find a different brand of food. My cat always threw up his food and I just started him on this new kind and new he eats all of as fast as he can!! He loves it!! The other kinds of foods just would not stay down....it would be anywheres from 5 minutes or many many hours after he ate it...it would come back up! I was getting so mad at him, but I realized it wasn't him that was the problem...it was just the food that didn't agree with him. So....If I were you...I'd try different foods. There are sooooo many brands out there!!! You might even have to add tuna oil to some of it....or whatever it takes!!! LOL Your cat will find something to suit his belly I'm sure. Just be patient with him....it will take some time....plus...he'll have that "aftertaste" of the old stuff in his mouth/system so make sure he has plenty of water and give his tummy a rest for half a day. Good luck to you!!!!!

5. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Science Diet makes a formula for sensitive stomachs. My cat, Maia quit throwing up when eating it.

6. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I have posted about our cat, Tippy, who is the barfingest cat I've ever seen!

He gets that ointment twice a week and still gets hairball barfs. We've taken him to the vet, we've changed his diet many, many times.

I feed him small amounts at a time so he won't wolf it all down and BARF! (Imagine sitting for 15-20 minutes tiwce a day, feeding a cat a tablespoon of dry cat food at a time!)

I'd change his diet and give the new catfood a few weeks. The cat might be allergic to the catfood you're giving him.

Cod liver oil might help too and it does wonders for ther fur. Just put a bit on his food.

7. misslinda

misslinda Well-Known Member

MsPacMan.....How is your kitty doing now? Have you found another brand of food that he likes? Please keep us updated on his hairball problem. (I hate it when kitties have a problem like this and can't tell us how to help them....:help: :shrug: ) Poor babies....

8. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

Wow Ardie, I thought I had the barfingest cats in the world! :banana02:
    Both my female cats throw their food up all the time. I've changed foods numerous times and grease them down with vaseline (was told to use straight vaseline as it's cheaper than the stuff you buy for hairballs). I've NEVER seen them barf up a hairball, only food. My male cat almost never barfs, but then again he's a hunter and the girls...well, lets just say they are ladies of leisure. I did read that a cat should eat wet canned food instead of dry because it's more like the stuff they'd find in the wild, ie..rats etc... I'm going to switch them to canned cat food this weekend. Growing up all our cats ever got from us was the nastiest smelliest canned food and they NEVER threw up and loved the stuff. Maybe the article was right.

9. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I always heard a raw egg will help with hairballs...I give one a week to my shedding fur licking doggie....

10. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

The little guy's still barfing about once a day. I've tried a bunch of different foods, and I've tried dribbling some tuna oil on his dry kibble to give him extra oil.

Where does one find that Science Diet for sensitive stomachs?

I live in a rural area, and none of the local vets have it.

11. Pyrenees

Pyrenees Well-Known Member

You need a diagnosis. Were x-rays or bloodwork done? If not that should sway your decision about where to seek veterinary care. Go ahead and try to change the diet...but there are numerous conditions that can cause chronic vomiting that necessitate a more aggressive approach than a diet change, or GI lubricant.

12. prhamell

prhamell Well-Known Member

Here is something to sort of chuckle at and hopefully take your mind off your cat troubles... April 22nd is National Hairball Day. Honest to god, I read it in April's Family Fun magazine. I'm quite positive that our cats plan on hacking up a big one for dh to step in when he gets out of the shower in the a.m.

13. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

At last! The voice of reason! :bow: First is to get your cat checked out by your veterinarian! Then on an appropriate diet. Tuna is a terrible diet and I suspect you know that and so are searching for help. Always start with a good Vet, then go from there. Applause for being concerned and wanting to do something. :sing:

Good luck with your kitty, hope all is ok.

LQ