Cat Climbing The Screens

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by iblast, Dec 25, 2003.

1. iblast

iblast Member

Has this happened to you?????????
    :no: Our home has windows that start near the floor. Our cat has discovered the old excersising the claws trick on the screen. We have tried water shouting and other tricks. :waa:
    My DW saw somethng on animal planet where a guy used fine wire and a 9 volt battery to keep the cat off the furniture.
    I tried a 12 volt battery and the cat never noticed the charge.
    worship: Had a great idea :D Used a remote control dog training collar. Wired it to the screen and to a grounding pad near the screen and waited with the remote control. Tadaa!!!! The cat {who we love a whole bunch} started his excerise in the screen. I said NO!!! and then pushed the button. Wow The cat jumped back looked at his paws and backed away. He still looks in but keeps his paws off the screen.
    I just rescreened our house and the cat damage can be costly.
    Just thought I would share this idea. I don't belive in hurting our pets. But sometimes a boost is needed.
    By the way our cat was tossed out of a car warped in a bag going over a bridge. My DW and I were on the bridge taking pictures and pulled the kitten put of the water. :)

2. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Sounds better than killing the cat, and it worked didn't it.

3. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

use a standasrd run of the mill cattle prod... or if you have an extra fence charger, set it up and hook it to the wire screen and wait for kitty to learn...

I use a squirt gun.... its worked every time except with one stubborn kitty. he got the stun gun tested on the screen.... I didnt know cats could fly.
    unharmed, he never touched the screen again. he doesnt even want to go near the doorway.
    that was about 5 yrs ago... he still remembers!

4. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

We had to resort to declawing our cat after awhile. We tried every method out there of training her to NOT claw our coaches, carpet, doors, and us, but she still did it. We felt awful about it, but she's a lot more tame now and it worked out as a nice compromise. We get to keep the cat AND our furniture. :)