Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boy Hisser, an inside cat, is persistently trying to eat green stuff. I just put my peace lily on a tall stool in the middle of the room; it's mildly toxic. I dumped the compost because he pulled a leek top out of there: no onions for cats. I have never bought any of those pots of grass stuff they sell at upscale pet stores, but am considering it. Would digging a little grass from the lawn be suitable? Some vegetable from the fridge? I don't treat the lawn with anything. He has dry catnip, but isn't interested.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I had one cat to eat my ENTIRE miniature rose bush, stems and all, as a kitten. But she was the only one who had an interest in plants, period. I bought her the cat grass. She ate it, But also any other potted plants inside.
I never saw her eat regular grass. She was a weirdo lol.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Those fancy pots of grass in the upscale stores are nothing more than wheat grass.
Buy yourself some wheat berries and plant them in a pot that would be suitable for the size of your cat without him knocking it over. Ceramic or terracotta work well.
Within a few days you'll have fancy grass and Hisser will be in his glory and getting nutritious greens.
If you plant a few pots, stagger the planting time and you'll have a continuous supply.

http://www.bhg.com/videos/m/32071721/grow-a-quick-pet-treat-wheatgrass.htm

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Every time I went somewhere the person watching my cats would feed them greens. Then I'd come home to lots of cat vomit. There is a downside. You can get started catnip plants and let them grow. When I had outdoor cats I had 3, 3' diameter catnip bushes until one of my cats figured out the fencing to the little herb garden by the backdoor and spent a spring eating my bushes and being high on catnip.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I grew catnip in a pot on my kitchen table, and my two indoor cats didn't bother with it. But my catnip in my garden always had random strays rolling in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts