Cat 257B

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ross, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Got to play with a new full tracked Cat 257B skidsteer loader! Wow what a machine pulls grade as nice as anything you could use and spins 360 on grass without tearinmg up the sod! Every bit as much pushign on a solid footing as any wheeled skidsteer and glides over a sand septic mantle nearly perfectly. OK steerign on sand is just as horrible as any skidsteer, (ruts) but there's no compaction. Walkign in boots beside the tracks you sink in twice as much. Very nice but at 60k CND I doubt I'll get to enjoy the terrific suspension and high speed floating ride for quite some time. I'd luv to hear what others have tried for any skidsteer loaders. My NH 555 is light years ahead for stability and usefulness than any Bobcat I've tried (444 and a 847) but is outclassed by that Cat. Now I only paid 1/6 the price too.

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............Ross , I've run Bobcat type loaders for various jobs . Have never had the pleasure of playing with the machine you describe BUT , I've observed others building house pads , and all jobs that any steer loader can do and they really seem to be a step above in performance as well as Price . The only criticism I've heard voiced by others is that the tracks would be very pricey to replace\rebuild vs replacing say 2 tires at a time on a skid steer . fordy.. :)

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Yup 12,000 CND for a full track/undercarrage, but they expect 5000 hrs on it before it needs that much. So if it's workign on high profit jobs like septic systems the costs might be ofset. Going to show my boss the Thomas 320 full track which is 33% less cost and more hp. Trouble is it is a ton more weight too.