Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
zone 5 - riverfrontage
6,687 Posts
Boar taint is connected to two things.

#1 is a bacterial infection that Australia has a vaccine to prevent it.

#2 the genetic heritage of your pigs.

I breed pigs [Large Black Boar and Hampshire sows], we have never seen boar taint in our pigs. Even 800-pound 6 year old breeding boars. Never a bit of taint in their meat or their lard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay. Thank you. Do you give your pigs any vaccines, antibiotics, deworming? Tips? Thanks for your help and time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
hmmm. interesting to see everyone's experiences/opinions on boar taint. they all sure differ! like almost every person I've asked has said something different. personally, I have no experience eating meat from boars (that I'm aware of). never ate pork I didn't like really! we have a few American Guinea Hogs right now- including 2 boars. they're 6 months old. we're thinking about castration vs boar taint, etc.
there's a farm vet in my area who will come sedate the pigs, perform the castration, and give them antibiotics for $260 (total for both pigs). doesn't really seem logical for us from a financial standpoint but I wouldn't want to castrate without sedating a pig that was more than a few weeks old.
I think we're going to keep them, grow them out, and take the risk. I've heard AGH as a breed are very low in taint genetics and have heard stories from others who raise this breed that they haven't experienced any taint. one person said he could taste it in certain cuts, probably the fattiest ones.
what breeds do you keep and how old are the pigs? some people say the older the boar the more taint it has.
as for me, I have no clue! these are our fist pigs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm. interesting to see everyone's experiences/opinions on boar taint. they all sure differ! like almost every person I've asked has said something different. personally, I have no experience eating meat from boars (that I'm aware of). never ate pork I didn't like really! we have a few American Guinea Hogs right now- including 2 boars. they're 6 months old. we're thinking about castration vs boar taint, etc.
there's a farm vet in my area who will come sedate the pigs, perform the castration, and give them antibiotics for $260 (total for both pigs). doesn't really seem logical for us from a financial standpoint but I wouldn't want to castrate without sedating a pig that was more than a few weeks old.
I think we're going to keep them, grow them out, and take the risk. I've heard AGH as a breed are very low in taint genetics and have heard stories from others who raise this breed that they haven't experienced any taint. one person said he could taste it in certain cuts, probably the fattiest ones.
what breeds do you keep and how old are the pigs? some people say the older the boar the more taint it has.
as for me, I have no clue! these are our fist pigs.
Same. We’ve read so much. The previous response was the first I’ve ever heard that says they don’t. All homesteaders we watch say they do too, so it’s super interesting and I respect Everyone’s opinions. See we’ve thought about doing it ourself.
We have two heritage hogs, and two red/blue butts. Of all the males only one isn’t castrated. T

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same. We’ve read so much. The previous response was the first I’ve ever heard that says they don’t. All homesteaders we watch say they do too, so it’s super interesting and I respect Everyone’s opinions. See we’ve thought about doing it ourself.
We have two heritage hogs, and two red/blue butts. Of all the males only one isn’t castrated. T
maybe it would interesting to do your own boar taint experiment :) good luck with whatever path you choose!

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
$260 to castrate pigs is a lot of money. That would sure bring the final price of your meat up by a lot.

Some boars taste off, some don't. That's a lot of meat if a whole pig has a funky taste.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts