castration

Discussion in 'Goats' started by rootsandwings, May 9, 2006.

1. rootsandwings

rootsandwings Well-Known Member Supporter

We need to castrate our little buck.

Our choices are:

1 & 2) vet: banding (which I can do myself) or surgical castration without anethetic - cost $20

3) friend who raises beef cattle and will show me how to use his calf burdizo - cost, beer

4) band myself - cost ? cheap, reusable tool and a bag of bands.

Whatever he gets done will be after (within two days of) his CD&T and disbudding.

Any reccomendations? I forsee no income from this kid.

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

They all look like feasible options depending on your level of experience really. I knife castrate myself which costs me nothing. If you are going to castrate more goats in the future, you might want to invest in your own equipment although I do not believe in banding ....to painful for too long and there is a chance for gangrene, and i do not care for the burbizzo because there is a chance that one cord or both may not be completely crushed and you would still have a buck. But, if I had a large number of kids to castrate every year I might go with one of those methods as it might make for a quiker assembly line. But just a few kids, definately the knife.

3. Terre d'Esprit

Terre d'Esprit Boer-ing Mom

We have made the decision on our farm that we will go with the burdizzo. As TCW said, there is the chance that it will not take, but if it's done correctly, it's effective. Plus, the lack of blood during the height of fly season makes it appealing to me.

Good luck!

T

4. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

I have never had any problems with banding my little bucky boys. It's usually sore for a couple of hours and then they dont even notice it anymore (it goes numb). In about two weeks it falls off. You have to make sure to vac them whatever you do anyway so they dont get tetanus. Growing up we cut our calves, but we lost a couple due to bleed out. But that's a dozen in 25 years. So its up to you. Ive just about given up wethering anyway (unless its a boy I'm keeping) because I keep being told that meat goat buyers like intact buck kids, and I dont keep my bucks.
    I remember being told that the International Goat Research Program at A&M Praire Veiw cuts theirs so they dont have to guess if it "took". I think it all depends on you.

5. Kyla206

Kyla206 Member

Just had my little guy cut at the vets last week, took all of 5 minutes for him to do & the kid did fine without any pain killer. He was sore a couple of days afterward, but he is healing great. I think he fussed more for his horns being burned off than for the castration. My vet said he could do any of the three methods, but he preferred cutting. Mine was nice enough not to charge anything since I took the kid to him. So..that made my day! Just my .02. Have a great day!

6. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm for cutting too. I want to learn how to do it, and the vet did show me, I just don't feel like I can do it yet.

Your vets price sound too high. Mine does it for $2 ea. (charges $5 if they need shots). Maybe you should shop around or ask if he knows a vet student that needs some hands on :shrug: