castration question

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Briano, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Briano

Briano Active Member

went to look at some piglets and this one looked to be having some side effects from castration anybody explain it to me? was told they were castrated on march 31 i was looking at this on april 16. others in the litter looked normal from castration 20180416_150546.jpg

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

It looks almost like a hernia of some sort, but if it's acting healthy I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I'd consider a shot of Penicillin or LA 200 if there is any fever and maybe banding those protrusions to speed the healing.

A topical antibiotic could help if there are still raw, open areas.

crehberg likes this.

3. DragonFlyFarm

DragonFlyFarm Well-Known Member

I'm new to pigs, but personally I think I would pass on this one. If the protrusions are cords I would think they could be cut back, if its a hernia it should have been shoved back in at the first sign. Regardless I would be concerned with a two week old castration looking like that and why bring home a possible problem?

dsmythe likes this.
  4. ShannonR

ShannonR hillbilly farmgirl

Those incisions look huge! Is the black matter necrotic tissue or dirt?

The protrusions look a lot like testicles also, the cords should not be nearly that big in diameter (and should have been cut back further if they are indeed cords). My best guess is hernia, or one neck of a botched castration job. Did they try to band their hogs or what?? LOL

5. Briano

Briano Active Member

im not sure but i passed him up

DragonFlyFarm likes this.
  6. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

It is improperly cut cords. Likely infected, too.

7. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

That is disgusting and it saddens me to see it. We gave up castrating pigs close to 40 years ago (and yes, there will always be the chance/argument of boar taint) but we realised it wasn't necessary and in all of that time, never had a pig with boar taint.

If people must castrate them, do it properly - it's not hard and should be done within 3 days of birth. I suspect that few are which probably leads to the type of thing in the photo. I would have taken that piglet, and haggled the price, if for no other reason than to make sure he was cared for. And then eaten him.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

proutdoors likes this.
  8. Bearfootfarm

I stopped doing my lambs unless a customer specifically wanted it done, which was seldom.
    Most of the meat customers preferred the uncut rams, and they also gained weight better.

proutdoors likes this.
  9. krackin

krackin Well-Known Member

Cut pigs gain faster. Barrows.

opio and haypoint like this.
  10. haypoint

While I disagree with your belief about boar taint, we agree that this botched job is disgusting and properly castrated, sooner the better, is preferred.
    The pork industry understands boar taint. That is why a mature boar sells at auction for eight to twelve cents a pound, while a mature older sow will bring thirty cents a pound. Every boar that I've taken to slaughter had boar taint.

11. Bearfootfarm

I think the buyers use it as an excuse to pay less for good meat.

proutdoors likes this.
  12. haypoint

I'm not sure how that would work. If it were possible, then couldn't they also pay ten cents a pound for sows? Livestock auctions are a fairly pure example of supply and demand. Highly spiced pork is a fairly small market. Stinky old boar meat has no where else to go.

If boar taint is fake or at least rare, a huge opportunity exists for anyone that wants to exploit it. While the rest of the market is buying butcher hogs for fifty cents a pound, you could buy boars for twelve, out bidding those buyers with their fake boar taint bias, and market hams, bacon, loins at far below market prices. Let me know how that works out.

13. Bearfootfarm

"Boar taint" is assumed even when it's not real.
    They pay less at the auctions but it's not labeled "Male/Female" in the stores and it all tastes the same.

proutdoors likes this.
  14. haypoint

When any product that costs ten cents can be substituted for a product that costs fifty cents, the demand for the cheaper products increases. Demand drives up the price. If boar meat could be used in place of other pork, but purchased for a fifth the cost, what would stop a buyer of butcher hogs, currently paying fifty cents a pound, from buying all the boars at market for twenty, thirty or forty cents a pound?
    Boars meat is barely marketable. If boar taint is mostly fake, why won't butchers buy them?

15. barnbilder

barnbilder Well-Known Member

You don't seem to understand livestock auctions very well. If they can make an excuse, they will use it. The preponderance of sorry, poor doing, hatchet butted black cattle that are littering the countryside is good evidence.If you take a red calf to auction, even though chances are he is from better stock, you will lose money. Because they can justify giving you less. You won't see much boar taint trouble if you have good enough pigs and know how to feed them. They should be in the freezer long before it would be an issue, even in the rare cases it is even present.

16. proutdoors

proutdoors Member

Fears of boar taint are what leads to lower prices for boars in comparison to sows. Fears based on myths and silliness. Some boars have a taint, and some breeds are more likely to have taint than others. Perceptions based on old farmer's tales is why boars are shunned.

17. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

The problem is taint does exist. If it is one in ten that is to great of a risk for the processors. If the lose 1 in 10 customers every time they slaughter a tainted boar they are soon out of customers. That is simply not a risk that they will take.

18. gerold

gerold Well-Known Member Supporter

There was a local store in town that opened up and sold pork for about 1/2 price. It turned out to be about 1/2 meat from boars. They lasted about 3 mos. Pork is a big meat seller here. Everybody went there and filled up on pork chops etc. My Brother got some also. Most people could not eat half the meat they got there. Market lost all their business. Now they are out of business. They didn't tell anyone they were selingl boar meat. That meat was strong. No good to eat.

haypoint likes this.
  19. haypoint

The Angus Breed Association did a fantastic job convincing the public that Angus was better. People pay more for Angus. Butchers pay more for certified Angus. Slaughter facility buyers pay more for black cattle because it sells at a higher price. Black low quality cattle will sell for more than other colored cattle. The demand is for certified Angus and anything black can be called Angus.
    If that were true, you have a great money making opportunity. Buy wonderful tasting boars for 1/5 the price everyone else is paying and market the meat. Without taint, no one would know.
    If taint were one in ten, at 10 cents a pound, every processor could buy boars at 20% lower prices (40 cents) and after disposing of the one in ten boar taint, profit the extra 10%. But at 1/5 the price of butcher hogs, even if only half the boars stunk from taint, a slaughter facility could throw out the carcasses that stink and process the half that don't smell and be profitable.

20. barnbilder

barnbilder Well-Known Member

And people eat the cheap boar meat every day like it was candy. Add some preservatives a few spices, bury it in simulated cheese and tomato gravy and nobody is the wiser.

krackin, Wanda and haypoint like this.