Castration question?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Goat Freak, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

My mom says that we are going to have Rico, our latest buckling, castrated, and while we are at it I'm going to see if we can do Zeke, my bottle baby, too. Since I want to be a vet, and I have read how to castrate, I want to do it myself. I think that Zeke will be easy, his gear is normal, but Rico only has one testicle decended. I felt around, and I think that I have located where the missing one is, not sure, but that's what it feels like. Is there anyway to cox it out, or just neuter him with it up there. By the way, I'd also like to know the best way to castrate these guys. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Bye.
    -Goat Freak-

2. commomsense

commomsense Beef,Its whats for dinner

I would just band them. How old is Zeke?

3. rufus

rufus Well-Known Member

Banding will work for the little fellow but the older one might be too large to get the band on. Most likely he will have to be cut which would be better left to a trained vet until you get some hands on experience with such a proceedure. On the undecended testicle you might have to insert a finger and push it down from the anus and remove like what's done on a horse.

4. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

How old is Zeke? I was just at the vet to have an older buckling surgically done and my vet was ready to try and do a banding if possible. He was just a shade too big for the band to fit. So as long as the band can get around the testicles you could try it. Remember to pull down on the scrotum before you release the band and make sure the teats don't get caught. Can you manipulate that undescended one down? I'd be afraid that guy might be fertile if you weren't able to get both in the band.

5. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

If you don't get that undescended testicle inside the band, it will still operate and he could impregnate someone. I've read of impregnated does without a buck in sight . . . it was Mr One Undescended Testes Wether hiding out with the girls.

Pushing it into position from the anus will be painful to the goat, and the testes will likely snap back up into the abdomen unless you get it caught real well inside the band. I've read NOT to band bucks over a week old, but that sounds pretty conservative. I think it's true, tho, that the older they are, they feel more pain and have greater blood supply, thus more chance of complications like bleeding and infection.

They need a tetanus shot after they are banded too.

6. commomsense

commomsense Beef,Its whats for dinner

Where did you here or read that. :shrug:

7. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

Um, I would be afraid to castrate (using a knife) a cryptorchid buck. I wouldn't do it, and I do have plenty of experience castrating goats.

8. wolfheart23

wolfheart23 Well-Known Member

I don't know aything aout castrating goats (yet), but I know if you leave an undescended testcle in a dog or cat, they have a very high risk of testicular cancer (even more so than a normal unneutered male). I would imagine it will need to be surgically removed, but again I don't know for sure. I would consult with a vet if you have the chance.
    I am very interested in other's responses, as I'm sure I'll have to deal with this eventually (that is, once I actually have goats! :))

9. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Some of the info that is in print is sure strange - not to band after a week? Boy, that would let a lot of us out! Since my goats get their CD&T's a bit before this, I don't give a separate tetanus. But never a bad idea to be on the safe side.

10. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I would band the normal buck and have the vet do the one with the undescended testicle. The missing testicle could be up in the abdomen and getting into the ab. cavity is a great way to get fatal infections started. Really a completely different situation than a straightforward castration.

Many vets will let an aspiring vet student watch surgery and give you a running commentary. This could be a great learning experience for you!

11. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Wait a bit and see if the other drops. As long as the bander will fit band them. No need to pay a vet or cause the pain of cutting. The boys go back to eating within mins of banding. A tetnaus shot is always a good idea if they have not had one.

Patty

12. Mnsunset

Mnsunset Active Member

Doesn't anyone else use a burdizzo (bloodless castrator)? I use it on older (and young) kids with no problems.

Very good advice.

13. saraohio

saraohio Well-Known Member

Adjustable banders work on larger ones, using a rubber tube which can be tightented rather than a band

14. Goat Freak

Zeke was born November 26, 2005. So he'll be a year old in a couple months.

15. Goat Freak

We don't have enough goats yet to make one worth it, and we hope to sell most of our boys intact. These guys are getting done because of special reasons, Zeke is my baby and I would like to hug him without smelling like him, Frankie had good growth to begin with but that's over and I just don't think he would make a good buck, and Rico has one undecended testicle and you're not supposed to breed boys like that, so they will have their stuff removed one way or another. My great uncle is a vet, and he would be doing the castration, and I WOULD get to watch, he's a nice guy, so he might even let me do one of them under his supervision, he already offered me a job for after college. I don't like the idea of banding because it takes so long, at least with cutting it's done faster, and I wouldn't have to see the testicles rot off, or find a "surprise" in their pen. JMO. I'm not trying to be rude, and I'm certainly not saying anythings wrong with the ways that others choose to castrate their boys, I'm just a bit of a wuss when it comes to rotting things, the sight and smell would make me puke and get sick.
    -Goat Freak

16. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

When our goats were banded, there was no rotting or rotting smell.

They just dried up and one day were gone.

We always worried that one of the dogs would come bringing one back to the house like it was a rawhide chew, but fortunately that didn't happen. :)

Lynda

17. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

I read it in Goat Medicine (the vet manual by Smith talked about on this forum).

18. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

My dog did find a dried scrotum from one of the wethers. It was flat, size of a silver dollar and rather like a brown potato chip. No odor whatsoever. We have had very dry weather since he was castrated, and it took about 3 wks for the sac to fall off. He was 6 wks old when it was done, with a band I might add.

19. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

I'm just a bit of a wuss when it comes to rotting things, the sight and smell would make me puke and get sick.
    -Goat Freak
    Goat Freak, you better get over being squeamish about stuff like that if you're going to be a vet! In biology class, I used to psych myself before any yuchy procedure by telling myself that it was in the interest of science. I guess you could tell yourself that you'd be doing a good thing for the animal which of course, you care about. Good luck to you. I think you'll be a great vet someday!
    - Kathy

20. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

The reading I've done said that the anoxic area under the band can be a site for tetanus to enter.