Castration at 12 weeks

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Lemontreefarm, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Lemontreefarm

Lemontreefarm Well-Known Member

What would you folks recommend for 2 Bucks at 12 Weeks old to be castrated. I have sold them, but the man is paying me extra to castrate them
    I am worried about flies this time a year. I have done both banding and the knife, but have never used a Clamp. Need suggestions.

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i have pygmies and band them between 12 and 16 weeks. if they aren't too big, you can probably still band. others on here have advised me against using the burdizzo on them saying it takes a little training to do it properly. when i had the vet out to castrate a buck, he used the burdizzo. it crushes the cords internally so there is no open wound to draw flies. for me that its the advantage of banding- no wound.

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

But with the burdizzo sometimes it isn't totally effective. With one cord intact the bucky behaviors stil assert themselves though they are sterile. Or you could miss both cords witch would result in accidental and unwanted pregnancies. this can happen with banding as well, so make sure to count both testicles below the band. With the burdizzo you get to worry wether you did the deed correctly or not...
    Flys really arent' that attracted to the banded area as much as I thought they would be. The area is usually dry and shriveled by the time the sac falls off.