Castrating Ram

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Redeemed98, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Redeemed98

Redeemed98 Well-Known Member

I have used bands to dock tails before, but this is my first time to castrate. I put the band on the baby ram about 1 month ago but they still have not fallen off. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks -- Greg

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I can't say I've noted how long it takes...... If everything looks OK (no dark areas around the scrotem) and the lamb is healthy enough acting I wouldn't be too concerned. I've banded over a thousand lambs and lost none to the banding process, that I know of.

3. Redeemed98

Ross, Well the band itself is turning black and kind of waxy, i figured mabye it was just from the lanolin or something. There is a little blood under the band but not much at all. Overall he seems very healthy and active. Thanks -- Greg

4. Hay GWILD,
    I have only banded a few last summer (don't band in the summer) I noticed that I must have not been careful to sort of pull the belly wool out from under the band before releasing. The belly wool that was caught under the band held the scrotum in place even after the flesh had actually broken off. I suppose this might not be the biggest deal but in July I lost many to flystrike because of the decaying scrotum that just would not go away. I caught the lambs and easily pulled it right off, that was when I noticed that the wool was actually connecting the two.
    Calvin

5. Ross

I have seen the bands turn black too, and I'll bet you're right, probably just grime. By dark I mean bruised looking, indicating an infection/blood poisoning around the scrotum area.

6. Redeemed98

Well, after hearing your advise I decided to check him out again. I went out and caught the little guy, looked him over and decided to give it a little pull. Sure enough, it was holding on to just a little flesh and mainly by wool. I pulled it off fairly clean but there was a little blood. should I treat the area with anything since it is a little bloody? Thanks again -- Greg

7. Ross

Sure same as any other cut or scrape. I use a lot of Boroform over the year for just such minor nicks. Any antiseptic will do.