Castrating potbellies?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Laura Workman, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I heard somewhere that potbellies are put together differently than regular pigs, and if you castrate them the same way as regular pigs (you know, the regular home job with no stitches rather than the vet job with stitches), they have a very high liklihood of getting inguinal hernias. Does anyone have any experience with this?

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Laura,
    Potbellies as you call them, are put together the same way as any other breed of pig and can be castrated in the same way. However, the younger the better .

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

my understanding is the same as laura's- that they must be surgically removed. there is something about the way the inguinal canal is formed on a pb, but it escapes me now. they also require a different kind of anesthesia, as the ketamine used on most animals is fatal to pb pigs. another reason keeping them as pet makes them high maintenence.

4. thorngirl

thorngirl Well-Known Member

We had 3 of our month old boys neutered this past monday, when we brought them in not one had a hernia (showing anyway) but by Thanksgiving day all 3 had visable hernias. I called the vet yesterday and they say they came in like that,which is possible but the hernias were NOT showing at that time and they didn't even think to tell me about it when I picked them up the next day. :mad: needless to say we are now switching vets even if we have to travel another half hour to get there.

5. marvella

hi thorngirl! i was wondering how you and your little piggies were getting along! how many babies did you all end up with?

i wish i could remember where i got the info about pb care, and neutering... it's somewhere on the 'net....

6. thorngirl

These babies are from Pruudy's litter. Bay Bay and Teedles are STILL holding out even though Teedles looks like it won't be long now and she's acting like a little witch too. Bay Bay's belly has gotten super round these past couple days so she may be ready soon too.The wait is driving me nuts,I wish I knew exactly when they got pregnant.

7. marvella

they reproduce like mad, almost as bad as rabbits. :eek: lily's mom was really small when she showed up here, so when my son said, mom, i think that pig is pregnant, i thought surely not, i just feed pretty good around here. but a week later, there they were, six little babies, out in the barn. they were darn cute, too, bettr than baby goats even. :) lily would love a companion. i may have a lifelong obsession.:)

other four in litter killed by my dogs, before i knew what was happening. mother pig stolen and eaten by neighbors. if they were that hungry... they are welcome to it. i moved.

sorry about the drift. later today, i'll write the woman who helped me, and see if i can find the info she gave me before. made a HUGE difference in how healthy my pig was.

8. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

I raise potbellies to eat ..after raising other hogs when I was "young & frisky"...I was taught to castrate under a week old & easy enough to manage myself..Have done it with the pbs also...Have had no more problem with them rupturing than with the large variety..It might be that being tiny they can get more pressure put on them when nesting to sleep & thereby cause problems..I couldn't afford a vet bill on every barrow I eat..If they are used by 6 mons even letting them stay whole turns out OK..GrannieD

9. thorngirl

Going to bring one of the little boys to a NEW vet an hour away but his hernia is still very visable where the other two boys hernias have disappeared.Hope he doesn't need an operation because this little guy was to be sold already.Will let you know what the vet says about this type of hernia later today.

10. thorngirl

Well, the vet says it's a good sized hernia and most likely the other vets fault because she castrated him like a farm pig instead of a pot belly which is done on the belly between the back legs and penis.He says it may gone down by itself or it may have to be operated on in 5 or 6 weeks.This guy is awesome and for sure our vet from now on.I'll keep you posted on how it's doing.

11. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

Really, this all sounds like a scam to milk more money out of people, those of us that homestead, and raise potbelly pigs for food, cut them young before they are over weight and do it the same as any other farm pig. In fact I did my two myself, and I had never done pigs before.
    My free range potbelly's had really nice meat, never had any health troubles, where never wormed, or even much touched until they where harvested.

Perhaps the pet trade is inbreeding so much there is a weekness (birth defect) being passed on in the lineage.
    Since this site is for homesteading isn't there a different site for you to discuss pet care?

12. marvella

you mean you want us to go away because some of us keep animals for pets instead of meat? you mean because i keep goats and chickens too, some of them as pets, we should go someplace else to talk about them?

gee. i'll be sure and ask if it's OK before i reply to a post. :rolleyes:

13. thorngirl

Thank you Marvella..... ;) I wanted to say something last night but kept my mouth shut. I did go on the internet last night and found an article that backed what my new vet said.So,it may not be a money thing after all.

14. marvella

http://www.pigpalssanctuary.com/health/health_care_articles.htm

http://www.pigs4ever.com/PotBelliedPigInfo/FAQs.htm

here's those links i mentioned. almost forgot about them. i found the first one particularly helpful. the lady who has that page learned the hard way, lost a couple of pigs due to lack of knowledge, and posts this info to help others in the same situation. to keep pigs as pets, they need some special care. if you are raising them for meat, you manage them differently. just like all farm animals.

glad someone else felt like i did. :)

15. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

Since this website, is about homesteading, it would be directed more toward meat animals, and I highly value information, from any source, even if it is directed toward pets.

Yet, these days pets have a stronger base of suport than meat animals, and if there are sites for pets, would be be fair for a meat grower to do there and post expecting no one to disagree with them? Or would the pet growers likely feel intruded upon? I know many would be VERY upset. My desire is to protect the limited base of suport for meat animal care. and not loose a site because so many people don't approve of useing animals for meat. And condeming new people learning about it, to be limited only to a pet point of view. I can and do repesct your love of animals for pets, can you do the same for meat growers?

I posted because the thread really sounded like a pet site, and if those of us that raise for meat don't make a choice to converse about our views, [I think I have be respectful to all pet views], and remain in the main stream, our rights to raise our own meat could be taken away. I have heard that it has happened, that there are some places that it is not legal to butcher you own meat.

So, are there no pet potbelly sites? I don't think I was rude to ask. Is there any indication that the pet lines of potbellies are inheriting a weakness in this area?
    As meat growers would cull away from this, it may become a growing issue in the pet lines. I can understand how you would want to share a concern in health issues, this could be an important issue to all lines of potbelly pigs. If that was your intention why did you get defensive and take the position that I wanted to run you off? There are so many 'pet' people that don't respect meat growers, and take an extreme position for 'animal rights' is it not fair to share my views on a public forum set up for the promotion of natural ways and self-sufficiency? or do you only want people to agree with you?

If the moderator or other meat growers think I have been out of line, I will be happy to write out an equally long appology.

16. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

Thumper ~ You said it better than I could have..I've wondered about the countries of origin using a pig that was so delicate for their food..I've watched the pb pet fad from the beginning..The 1st sow I got ahold of had sold at an exotic sale for $7000..I traded a dozen ceramic mugs for her..have had some $5000 ones & lots of obese pets that people got tired of...Seen pens of rescued over weight pigs waiting to die of heart attack...they are pigs!! Not 3 yr. old children as seen in some of the promo...My current group is the best I've had of the bit leaner type...Good for the folks who like pet pigs..go for it...You don't need to say you are sorry...GrannieD

17. marvella

1. do you have any more authority than any other poster to dictate to other members what they can and cannot post about? i mean, are you a mod or admin or something?

2. the original post was a question asking if anyone had any exprience castrating PB pigs, which a few of us tried to answer. she didn't say for meat, she didn't say pet. she asked for hands on.

3. i wasn't aware that homesteads are only allowed to have animals for meat, and not for pets.

4. not one single response said anything negative about people eating meat.

5. yes, keeping our animals healthy is a concern for all of us, not just those who raise meat. i really didn't see any rules on this forum that we can only ask or answer questions about meat production.

6. "If that was your intention why did you get defensive and take the position that I wanted to run you off? " um, because you said, "Since this site is for homesteading isn't there a different site for you to discuss pet care? " sounds like you feel this should be a private club.

7. "There are so many 'pet' people that don't respect meat growers, and take an extreme position for 'animal rights' is it not fair to share my views on a public forum set up for the promotion of natural ways and self-sufficiency? or do you only want people to agree with you?" it's clear, to me at least, that it was you that became unnecessarily defensive because we mentioned keeping pigs for pets. and made HUGE asumptions about who and what we are based on that.

8. yep, i'd like the mod to step in and say if a discussion of castration of PB pigs is out of line on this site?

in the meantime, i hope laura jensen heard something helpful about her pig.

18. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

There is no reason why pet owners can't post here. Why would we want to **** anyone away?

19. marvella

thanks chuck.

i hope it was all a misunderstanding.

20. Unregistered

Unregistered Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me the difference in the potbelly pigs raised nowdays and the guinea hog raised many many years ago? The shape and size are close to the same.
    I can remember when we raised guinea hogs for the lard and hamps for the lean meat. It has been many years ago but it seems the potbelly is almost the same as the guinea hog except it has been refined and selectively bred for pets as the need for lard hogs went out of style.