Castrating Herd Buck

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Tango, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

My herd buck is 14 months old and the sweetest most gorgeous boy. I've gone back and forth about keeping him or selling him and am currently thinking that I could just have him neutered and keep him since he is not selling. I don't want to sell him to be butchered. How is it done at this age? Would the vet use anesthesia? Would that be risky for him?

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

usually they would use local anesthetic. Full Anesthesia is often leathal to goats of any age, though sometimes they are given a small dose. Then the vet snips off the bottom of the scrotum, pulls down the testes, and snips the cord. Bucks almost always have no complications and show very little pain. Sometimes the vet won't use anesthetic on smaller, easier to control animals. If you are uncomfortable with the not-use of anesthesia, just ask him to use it. Some refuse for the reason that it can hurt the goat.

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks Dona. I don't see him being calm about the procedure and without some sedation it could turn ugly. I'll have to discuss it with my livestock vet-d on't even know if he neuters goats...

4. saraohio

saraohio Well-Known Member

Ive seen some young ones done with a burdizzo, a clamp that crushes the cords. I think its safer from an infection standpoint, but sometimes the cords dont get crushed and you have to do it again. Antisthetic typically not used on young ones, just a quick pinch then its over. Well maybe a little bellering. You have to hold his legs good.

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i had my 5 year old buck done with a burdizzo. my vet prefers that method, because there is no open wound to get dirty and draw flies, etc. he just had me and his asst. hold him steady up against a wall. yep, he bellered. :help:

6. fricknfarm

fricknfarm Well-Known Member

I had my pair of NubianXAlpines done @ 10 months. I did NOT watch as I'm rather fond of these boys. It was a bit bloody and my son will never be the same,(he helped hold them, don't worry he's no little kid, 34)) but the boys were fine a couple of days later. The vet DID remove the testicles I saw him carry them away for disposal. he did not use anesthesia or stiches, he did use some substance inside the scrotum so they wouln't bleed tho. They still did a little. My alternative was the sale barn. My boys are happy, I'm happy and my Nubian buck is happy. Usually I try to sell the bucklings as soon as possible because I don't want to get attached. These were just too cute, and what a matched pair of beautiful black bucks they grew up to be. Hoping to turn them into cart goats. I'd say it was well worth it to know they are safe, with the rack of horns they have no telling what would have befallen them.

7. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

A friend of mine castrated an older buck - who ended up a carrier for G6S. She special ordered a 'doohicky' - it looked like heavy gage metal wire - and large rubber bands. It worked, but I think the gizmo cost about $40. It was especially for castrating older goats/small bulls. I could ask her where she got it if you are interested.
    niki

8. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Archie (Boer/Saanen X Pygmy) was castrated around 9 months old or so last fall.
    I held him for the castration. He was cut the same way the older buck kids had been cut in years previous. He was in my lap and I had his legs firmly grasped. Joe, made a slit in one side of the scrotum, pulled the testicle down, clamped the cord (not a burdizzo but something similar) and pulled off the teste. Repeated on the other side, sprayed the area and we put him back in the truck. He was dopey (adrenaline let down I believe) for awhile but was back to his ornery, horney self the next morning.
    Definitely talk to the vet. There are lots of options but banding really isn't the best way to go with a mature buck such as he.
    I've always felt if I am going to force them to go through castration, I better well be there to hold them. Reinforces why I do it at a younger age to lessen the amount of pain (I realize that isn't the case here but that is why I make it a point to be involved).

9. saraohio

saraohio Well-Known Member

Niki, I dont know that its worth investing in a banding tool for one use. Might be harder to do but seems you could get the same result just by tiing his testicles real tight with a thin rope. Banding causes some discomfort but no real pain, but takes longer for results.

10. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

You're probably right - about the $$ part. I doubt the results are similiar to just tying off by hand, though. End result would be the same, but with this piece of equipment it is MUCH tighter. (saw it myself), so I think it would have results more quickly. I do happen to believe banding hurts! (even so, I do band) It would be cheaper than having a vet out to do the deed on an older animal - at least what the vets charge around here!

Niki

11. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input and advice. I still haven't called my vet about it but that is my first choice. I have four bucklings that might stay with the herd which will need to be castrated as well. I simply can't do it. I don't have it in me. Disbudding was like torture for me and the kids too :( The list for the vet is getting longer so the farm call won't be much- just need to come up with the money to do this all at one time.

12. fricknfarm

fricknfarm Well-Known Member

If you do care for you animal, a vet might be the only choice. Infections and or tetanus could result fromnot banding properly. Our vet charges us what he would chrge per head to a big farmer, we bring ours in to him. If he had to come out here, it might be $20 more. How often are byou going to do this? Surely it would be worth it to have it done right.

13. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

At present I will be castrating all my males so no more kids in the planning until I sort things through. I have never castrated before and don't see the need to castrate as a routine measure for meat goats. I hope this is the only time.

14. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Tango, any farmer around you who has castrated a bull can help you. We just did 3 a couple of weeks ago, if you were closer we'd come do it for you.
    We personally don't use local anesthesia for castrating goats, sheep or cows. Most vets who use it only do so for the benefit of the owner, not the animal. The animal won't be real fond of a shot in that area and the anesthesia does hurt, probably for just as long as a quick castration hurts.The secret is to cut the bottom third of the scrotum off and pull the testicles out (never cut the cords, much higher chance of bleeding that way) as fast as you can. If you do it quick they don't usually fight, they just kinda stand there in shock trying to figure out what's happening. For a goat you just need one person to hold them.
    Hey, if you plan to make money farming you're going to have to stop being so sentimental. Since so few males are needed in comparison to females, most every male animal born will eventually go for slaughter. I know you know that...
    I went through the same dilemma at one point. When I saw the freeloading males I was hesitant to sell for slaughter eating up all the profit I got sick of worrying about it and sent them to the sale barn. It was very liberating :)

15. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, castrating is nothing compared to disbudding. Disbudding is horrible. IMO if you got through that you can do anything.
    Order a cheap bander from Jeffers or get one at the co-op and band the little guys while they're still little. It's super easy. Just make sure you get both testicles, and don't put the band too tight to the belly. I did that on my first one and he had a big hole in his skin when everything dropped off. It did heal but I felt bad about it. They don't seem bothered by banding when they're little, they sorta do when they get a little bigger.

16. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks Paula, I'll ask my neighbors to see if anyone can help me with the young ones. I wouldn't mind doing those at home since I know it is a common procedure. I'm more than sensitive about livestock at this point. I've been going back and forth for the past year - but right now I am in grave religious distress. Have stopped eating meat and am in limbo as to my future here.I've no one to discuss it with. I may stop raising animals for meat altogether, even compassionately. I thought I could do this, but as each day progresses it gets harder to live with a clear conscience. I don't think this is the right choice for me. I'm praying for guidance as I love working with livestock and there's not much else to do with them even in a dairy situation.