castrating a bull

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by tackdriver, Oct 10, 2004.

1. tackdriver

tackdriver Member

I have a 15 month old hostien bull that I am feeding out. I have buyer for the meat (my father) but he wants it castrated first. My question is how old can you have that done? I tried to explain to him that it wll taste the same but he is an old meatpacker and is convinced it must be a steer.

2. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

If you have a good vet and a squeeze chute he is not to old. Castrate with a knife and he will be ok, but clamping or banding is out of the question! You should hold off till the flies are gone in your area. If you get him cut make sure the vet clamps off the bleeders and keep an eye on him for bleeding for a couple of hours. Good luck!
    Mr Wanda
    Mike

3. I'm not a rancher and haven't messed with cattle in several years but I'll pass on what I read the other day in a magazine that might be worth a try in the future for you. Some ranchers are now starting to practice the method of banding below the testicles instead of normally above. What they do is push the testicle far up inside the calf and then band the bag only. Supposedly by doing this the calf will keep gainning weight like a bull but will not develope hormones due to the testicles staying too hot. Therefore sterilizing the calf.

Sounds reasonable to me!

4. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

RH
    It will kill the sperm but thats about all!! Watch those bully looking banded steers come in the ring and the buyers back away!! If you miss a nut when you band you can tell the diferance in the pocketbook. I am a firm beleaver in use a knife and count the nuts on the floor :) If you want to feed bulls just leave them intact and they will do just fine.
    Mr Wanda
    Mike

5. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Best, especially at this time of the year would be to cut them. I can give you details on the proper way to do this if you would like. If you have a halfway decent chute, this wont be a hard task at all.
    If you are cutting him at 15 mo's, it is kinda late in life to make much a difference. He should be ready to kill in just a few months so you will surely have a little bit of setback, your father should know this is about too late to do. But as you know, the customer is always right....that is unless you can find a new customer.

By the way, an emasculator is going to be needed...can you borrow one? An emascualtome would probably work as well. You will need something to crimp the pretty good size vessels.

6. ott

ott Guest

Bull prices are good. Just sell at at the stockyard.

7. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

We are firm believers in castrating,weaning,etc. by the signs...as are many of our beef rancher neighbors. Less bawling,less bleeding. Just an opinion but you'd hate to raise a bull and loose him to castrating late....you can go online and find the right sign. DEE