castrating 3.5 month olds- Safe??

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by TurnKey, Dec 6, 2006.

1. TurnKey

TurnKey Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has a few 3.5 month olds that need castrated. I know how to do it on 7 day olds, but now- I'm not sure. Will they bleed too much, do I need to clamp off veins, can I use bands instead of cutting. etc. Any input would be helpful. She wants me to do it this weekend! :shrug:

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

At 3.5 months they are like a spoiled rich girl - Plenty Sassy and Hard to Hold on to, LOL.

I would enlist some help, but use same cutting technique.
    Pigs just ain't built right for bands to work.

Post some Pictures of the Mayhem, LOL.

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

.....and I wouldn't bother at all.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I've done'em that big, but like Up North says you need plenty of help.

5. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

You need a good hog holder.....lol They are actually easier to get out at this age, more to work with.

6. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

At over 50 lds. They can bleed out easier. You will need lots of blood stop. Get the spray if you can it will get inside better than the powder. Be quick with the razor. Cut'em free. At this age if you just pull you can cause some real damage. last thing...........HOLD ON TO THEM. They will be very strong, are hard to hold on to, and quite upset with what you are doing :)

7. montysky

montysky Well-Known Member

I would pass at cutting them at this age. just get wheels on them when the they hit 240 to 250 pounds.

8. TurnKey

TurnKey Well-Known Member

I don't think she (my friend) is going to let them go on intact. She is selling them to people at work once they are butcher size, and I don't think anybody at work will pay her asking price for "boar meat". I might be able to skip one due to the fact I need a boar, but the rest must become eunics. Oh, this is going to be fun! :Bawling:

9. mrmarshallb

mrmarshallb New Member

The question you should be asking is how you got yourself in this situation in the first place. :baby04:

10. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

PS - Wear a set of Earplugs.

11. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

Get them drunk. It makes them way more manageable.

Pete

12. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Didn't work with my ex............. :dance:

13. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I second the earplugs - and we got pigs drunk once to load them - one was a happy drunk, and the other - well.....not so happy.

Niki

14. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

What in heaven's name did you do to your ex???? :eek: :eek: :eek:

15. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Gosh Laura, do we want to know? I hate to think..... :D

Cheers,
    Ronnie

16. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

17. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

Time for the master to weigh in...I've cut thousands of hogs...usually at 2-3 days old. But sometimes I'd let a puny one would get a little older before the surgery.

The easiest way to cut a hog this size is to throw him on his side in the floor and kneel on his shoulder, pinning him down with your body weight while you pull his legs forward with one hand and slit the scrotum on each side with the other.

Put the razor blade or scalpel (Razor blades are cheaper) on the floor and pop out the oysters and pull them free. Stand up and toss the hog back in the pen.

If the other hogs start biting his wounds excessively, you may have to isolate him until he heals up.

The main thing to watch for is a rupture. If the hog has one nut that looks a lot bigger than the other one, DON'T cut that side. If you castrate a ruptured pig and don't know what you're doing, his intestines will spill out and you'll have a dead pig.

I've cut many ruptured hogs, but it is a delicate surgery that requires careful opening of the scrotum and tying off the rupture before opening the membrane that contains the nut (and the intestines in the case of a rupture).

That side of the scrotum then needs to be stitched in case the rupture escapes the initial tie-off. That way te intestines will be caught in the scrotum and the hog will do fine...although he'll never look quite right on that side. He'll still sell/eat good...

18. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

I wouldn't bother but yes, it can be done. There will likely be more bleeding. The biggest problem is the pig's strength at that point.

19. GeorgiaberryM

GeorgiaberryM Well-Known Member

Boleyz, you have a lot more strength or courage than I. I did 4 at about 40 lbs with a country vet and it wasn't easy.

The last butcher we did was with a boar and a gilt and they had become quite large, 400+ lbs and I couldn't tell the difference in the meat. There was no taint at all and the meat was all at the highest quality.

When I think that I am going to eat one young then I don't cut it. If I think I may sell a live one to someone or I am going to let it grow a while then I cut it, but only when young. I've eaten them out of the wild with no taint and I've eaten them old with no taint. It may just be blind, stupid luck but I've never had a bad one.

You might be able to educate your clients and avoid this whole ordeal. Many people say that it is not needed. I suspect that it is just convention and has bled over from other species, such as goats and mutton. I'm not saying this out of some kind of deep sympathy for the animal; its just that this really is not going to be fun and could be avoided.

I know of old breeding boars being cut and after a rest of a few weeks being turned into whole hog sausage. These guys were old and had been in a small area and as such had a lot of fat. I doubt the cutting did much to the meat though.

Sincerely
    Husband o'G

20. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

The original poster was asking if it was ok to castrate a 3.5 month old...I was saying yes, and here's how.

These castration threads always come down to this argument, and I can't argue the experiences of others. I can tell you this: No commercial producer that I know leaves boars un-castrated, unless he's raising one for breeding.

The reason is that the Market does NOT want boars...it wants Barrows (castrated boars). The market prices between Barrows and boars can range between 30-40 cents Per Lb.

Right now, for example, a 250 Lb. Barrow will bring $0.62 per/lb, or $155.00

A 250 Lb. Boar will bring $0.25 per/lb, or $62.50.

Commercial producers are in it for the money, and a 30 second surgery on a 2-3 day old pig can more than double it's value.

Boars exposed to females will begin to produce hormones aimed at breeding and these hormones SOMETIMES (Not Always) "Taint" the meat with a strong odor/taste.

The market doesn't want to take the chance, so it gives higher prices for castrated hogs and lower prices for boars. One thing the market never does is LIE. There must be some reason why the market prefers Barrows over Boars, and that reason can ONLY be taste/marketability/value.

No matter how it grieves people to do it, the castrating of boars is to insure quality instead of taking a chance.

Also, I know a LOT of commercial hog producers, and NONE of them would ever consider eating Boar meat. It just isn't done by commercial producers around here.

A small-timer with a small herd, or even one or 2 boars? Sure, take a chance if you want. PERSONALLY, I don't/won't eat boar meat...wild or domesticated...sorry, but I've been around a LOT of boars, and the thought of eating one makes me a little sick...JMHO.