Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post, I have been following this forum. Tonite, I notice a problem with my male pig (5 months old and castrated)....healthy in every way, but has developed a lump in the past 24 hours at his sack area. ..it doesn't seem to be bothering him, the lump is firm....here is a picture, do any members have advice?

Hoping the picture works!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/anejames/Porkyabscess2July2007.jpg

fluidp
Zone 3 Canada

·
agmantoo
10,855 Posts
I agree it is an abscess and not a hernia. That conclusion is from the redness and the fact you stated the bulge is firm. If the pig belonged to me I would lance the protrusion and I would make a vertical slit starting low so that the resulting opening would drain. Then I would attempt to flush the area. Afterward I would administer a massive dose of antibiotic.

·
agmantoo
10,855 Posts
It would be nice to get a consensus from others here prior to making a cut. Hogs do have hernias from the castrating process but normally the skin color does not change. It the temperature on the red area hotter than the adjacent area? If no one else comes forward just proceed cautiously and make a shallow incision and verify the puss pocket exists and that it is not a gut. As puss pockets age the condition usually goes from the first stages of a running yellow putrid mucous to in later stages a hard granular cornmeal consistency. You will want to wash as much of abscess out as possible and have the lower portion of the incision wider than the upper so that it will heal top to bottom resulting in drainage over the recovery period.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I contacted the person who I got the pigs from and she told me the same thing as you. I made a small stall and put some food in there. A neigbour of mine with far more experience than I lanced the lump and a fair amount of yellow pus came out. I squeesed as much as I could and cleaned insision with antiseptic. Porky is now resting after having two breakfasts. During the evening feed I will try to get more pus out. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
buckshotboers said:
I would irrigate that with penicillin

Wh todays feedings, we have given him penicilin, twice now. Tomorrow we will continue to drain, clean and give penicilin with feedings. He looks good thisevening. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all, it is day five and Porky's abscess has shrunk in size considerably. yesterday evening we used our last antibiotic pils. I went to town to the vet and all they will give me without seeing the pig was a injectable antibiotic. it is a long lasting ( 3 to 5 days) shot.
We gave it a try thismorning, but Porky is wising up to me going near his butt.
Maybe I am crazy, but is there any way of restraining a 150 lb pig. I have made a narrow shute, but he won't go near it now. I am thinking that if I can make a lifting harness for him I can get him off the ground just high enough so his small but powerfull legs can't touch the ground, then I can stick him in the butt with the needle.
Another idea ?? I don't want to but maybe a couple of sleeping pills will sedate him enough for me to get the job done?? I realy think he could use the shot to prevent infection. Any advice or ideas will be a big help. Thanks

·
agmantoo
10,855 Posts
The injection should be in the neck. To hold the animal you need on of the cable looped devices that goes over the top of the upper jaw and nose. When the animal is snared in this manner it will back up and hold resistance on the tool.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to up date on porky's abscess. He is doing fine. just a small lump now, probably just scar tissue. We have been washing with antiseptic, applying polysporin and using a spray on dressing every night. I thing we will stop now and let him be. Thank you all for your help

Graham and Anita from the Cariboo, in BC, Canada

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
agmantoo said:
Has the redness that originally existed disappeared?

Agmantoo, yes it has, it started going away shortly after the incision started healing up. Porky looks great these days, he is feeling better.

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts