Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
I've kept mine through two divorces :). During my first, I was meeting with my lawyer, going over the household goods. I wanted none of it. He was going down the list and went through the CI, and I said, "hold on! I want that set of cast iron cookware!" He looked at me funny and said, "you're kidding, right?" I said, "HELL NO! That's my cast iron cookware!" I got it too :D It was all I got. Of course, I've added to it over the years.

I took no chances with the second. They went when I went.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have two skillets. A 10 and a 6. They have a lot of history. I dont know what that history is since i got them out of a trashcan. Who throws away good cast iron? I do have my great grandmas dutch oven. It makes the best roasts.

One item i want to add is a dutch oven for camping.

T

·
0 Posts
I have two Great-Grandmothers' and one Grandmother's and my Mom's and her new Hubby's first (deceased) Wife's collections... Plus the two pieces I had bought as a kid! It is some of the most amazing and wonderful stuff!

My daughter got her first piece this last year, from her brother! :)

·
Premium Member
5,752 Posts
Unreal the amout I have picked up in the 8 years I have been divorced. I hit garage sales and estate sales. Got 10 skillets one day for a total of $15. I give them to my kids, as wedding gifts, graduation gifts, and one lady that drove me to rehab got a set to replace the ones she lost in a divorce.

Love CI.
Ed

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
I love my CI as well! Anytime (which isn't often) I get around a second hand store, flea market, or antique shop, I'm always looking for cast. When I was in Pagosa Springs which is a tourist trap anymore, I went down through Main st. There were a couple or more antique stores. I soon found the cast iron...and a Wagner reproduction which was maybe a "8 skillet was marked $85!!!! Sure, they're a nice skillet, but? LOL!

Last good find was a double skillet Martin Stove and Range from Alabama (I believe?) at a local second hand. $15! They also had a one of those doubled chicken fryer slillets, which I didn't get that day. After thinking bout it, I went back as soon as I could, but all the rest were gone.

One of the boys gave me a Lodge camp dutch oven...which I still have yet to try out. Actually, I'm kinda intimidated by it.

Attended a chuckwagon cookoff last year, where 5 cook teams competed for best food. They served over 500 people, so they really put out the groceries! It was all good, and each one had certain little twists they used with the same provisions!

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
I'm looking to get more, too. I have a newer Lodge 12" skillet and use it a lot. And a 4qt. dutch oven that's a BSR, Century series from the '60,s. It works so great for slow cooking a roast! I've used it hanging from the tripod this summer to make stew without heating up the house.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
My first piece was a round bottomed, 2 gallon pot with legs, bale and lid. I got it for Christmas when I was 12 :D My parents tolerated weird kids pretty well. Lol! Actually, I think I got my Dutch oven the same Christmas.

·
Premium Member
5,752 Posts
When the house burned, only things that came out useable was the cast iron, just washed it well and reseasoned it and was good to go. One of the first "care packages" to show up had a 10" cast iron skillet in it as well.

ONe piece is a muffin pan with the muffins shaped like fruits or vegetables. It was my great grandmothers. Grandmother's corn stick pan is here too.

Fried me some eggs this morning, sure is pretty droppin them down in that black skillet and watching em turn white with those high orange yolks starin back at you. Slid right out, major non stick there for sure.

Ed

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
I have cast iron right on top of the old cook stove. Add a pat of butter and I can cook eggs, bacon, steak, potatoes and onions right there, OR all at once for hash or an omelette. Then put on the hot cakes. Scrape with the pancake turner and good to go. Every 2 weeks or so I build a hot fire and let 'er smoke....James

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I've had a 10 in and dutch oven for 45 yrs. Odd thing, I can't remember where I got them. I used a few yrs, then Mom had them fir 30 yrs. When she passed, I got them back.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You guys sure had different mama than I did. She said CI was not fit to cook in. She had a pancake griddle. No idea what she did with or family did with it. Dad gt an old duch oven and when he passed on she planed flowers in it. My sister's daughter took it.

What CI I have I bought but one small fry pan. Got mine at thrifts. Husband had pancake griddle and I have given that to youngest son. Will not work on electric stove. He bought me an old used waffle iron. I knew nothing on brands and picked out one in good shape. Got in 56 for $7.50. Two Belgian cookie irons I paid the most for. First I seen and never saw any again.

I will be 83 Sunday . There are muffin pans, corn stick, couple fry pans, cookie pans,
two burner grill, another pan cake griddle. I have to do something about this stuff. I am suppose to do letter of instructions and letter with who gets what. Personal stuff. Never thought about this CI stuff. Not really a lot of it I have not considered it worth anything. Maybe I had better put it on the list and/or give now. ?

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
I have a bunch of cast iron pans, what is your best advice to season them??? I can never season just right and always burn stuff.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Use them and then wash them, don't let food set in them too long, or store food in them. Get to wash, I put water in them, bring to a boil, wipe out, coat very lightly with fat. Cook cornbread in them. If they get bad, scour them out with steel wool or fine sandpaper and reseason. Everybody quit gasping :D It's cast iron. It will last several generations. If 3 generations of ******** can't mess it up, you should be fine. People get too uptight about it. Ever heard of pioneers cleaning their skillets out with sand? If you wear hole in it just buy a new one. :D
When I go to cook, I'll put a small amount of water in the bottom and heat till it starts to boil, dump and wipe, wipe with a little more fat and go to it. Before you know it you'll have it well in hand. Do it that way, and I guarantee you can flip your eggs with wrist action alone.

ETA
I usually say, "three generations of women", but I didn't want to offend FBB's sensibilities. ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts