Cast Iron Wok.

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by seedspreader, Nov 27, 2006.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Who has one?

Since the advice on cooking the perfect rice, I have become a stir fry monster. (My wife is excited just that I am cooking ANYTHING so she lies and tells me how good it is I think.)

I've been using a huge cast iron fry pan, but I sure make a mess with it. Any CI Wok users? Is it worth paying the extra for the glass lid I see on some of them?

Gimme the scoop on CI Woks!

2. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

Hey ZYG...I have one. I got it at Salvation army a few months ago for under 10.00 and love it. The only thing I don't like is the amount of room it takes up. Anyway, Just my opinion but I wouldn't bother with a lid. I use one from one of my stock pots when I need one. They are great to throw everything but the kitchens sink in and then eat up....yummy!! Have fun.

3. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

Shouldn't need a lid for stir fry - you cooking on VERY HOT heat, flipping the food to sear it all over. Food is rarely in there long enough to need a lid - and besides - you should be constantly "messing" with it anyway.

I suppose a lid would be useful if you doing other kinds of cooking in it - but then, you'd probably want to use a pan that doesn't focus heat in the middle anyway...

4. Sassafrassa

Sassafrassa WorkerBee

I absolutely love mine. If you are used to cast-iron cookware (keeping it seasoned) you will have no problems with it. It cooks great, holds heat well, and there is nothing like it for cooking stir-frys and asian food. I use mine to make soups, too!!

Make sure you fry with high heat to sear the meat and veggies. That's the secret! ;)

Sassa

5. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

I've ha one for about twenty years. works great. Makes great chex mix too!!!

6. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

Yep, Got one and use it mainly in the summer for fried rice and whatever vegie I'm buried in.

7. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

I have a large size tin wok, and a smaller one with a long handle. The large one is fairly thin walled - it requires a ring to sit above the burner and be more stable, and is cared for just lilke cast iron. I use the smaller one more often, there is just husband and I usually to cook for. :)

I've been curious about your rice cooking. Did you get a rice cooker, or how are you doing your rice now? And is it coming out fluffy? :)

Hugs
    Marlene

8. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Nope no rice cooker for me! I took several pieces of advice and used them. I first turn the stove to medium, and in the pan I am going to boil the rice, I plop some butter, I let it melt and place the dry rice into the pan. I pre-fry the rice until it gets sort of white-ish, then I poor the water into the butter fried dry rice and add salt. More Salt = Better Rice (IMO) I bring to a rapid boil. I have a SS pot with one of those glass lids with the "valve" in it. It's very tight fitting. I turn the burner to low (around my "number 2" as suggested by roughinit) for 20 minutes. At the end of 20 minutes I shut it off and religously leave the lid on for the next 5 minutes... not 4 minutes and 59 seconds. Then I remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. It has come out in fluffy goodness for me each time. I've cooked it about 6 times or so since then. I think I may prewash it next time for even more fluffiness.

9. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

We got ours out of a catalog. It has a flat bottom to rest on the burner and is very stable. The high heat burned off some of the coating it came with, but because I season it just like uncoated cast iron I've never had a problem.

It is big and heavy, but I keep in on a hook screwed to a closet wall and it's easy to deal with.

I don't have a lid, but one of my skillet lids will fit over it when I have to do some steaming -- see if one you already have will work.

The best thing about it is that I can heat it MUCH hotter than anything I've ever used, and it sure cooks properly that way!

10. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I just put my largest lid on the wok. It is not an exact fit but it works FINE!

By the way, if you make a chicken stir-fry with celery and other veggies, and top it with cashews, it tastes just like cashew chicken. YUM!!!!!!!