Cast iron skillets

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by Grey Mare, May 16, 2018 at 9:59 AM.

1. Grey Mare

Grey Mare Well-Known Member

I have my grandmother's cast iron skillet, then two others that I use on occasion but since gotten more interested in using them on a more routine basis.

Does anyone have any tried and true recipe's for their use? How did you like how things came out?

2. M5farm

M5farm Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about a specific recipe , We use ours for everything we cook that requires a pan to cook it in.

Grey Mare and susieneddy like this.

3. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

Cast iron cooks 90% of what goes on our table. About the only thing we don't use it for is boiling water, and we do have a crock pot.
    From bread, cookies, pies and cakes to pastas, meats and vegetables.
    Cast iron gives, at least to our family, an organic flavor to pie crusts and breads that we don't get from modern cookware.
    I will say that I don't follow oven temp and times printed on boxes or recipes as closely with cast iron. They are slower to warm up and slower to cool down and that makes a difference.
    So I guess I don't have a specific recipe to give, but I will say that we tend to forget that most of what we are cooking in tin pans now originated in a cast iron one.

4. hiddensprings

hiddensprings Well-Known Member

All I use is cast iron to cook with. Any recipe will work in cast iron.

5. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

Years ago, we had glass, tin, aluminum, copper, whatever type of pot bulging the doors to our cabinets. Everytime you wanted a certain piece of cookware you had to open the door with your forearm in front of your face. These past few years I have done most of the cooking, so we have tossed most of the modern stuff. I use an #8, #9 and a #12 for meals and a #3 to catch spoons and ladles. Even with a couple loaf pans, griddles, and a few odds and ends we still have the tools for most every recipe and room in the drawers
    My wife prefers the old thin wall stuff as she has weak hands and with the short handles on cast iron the lighter the better.

Grey Mare likes this.
  6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Recipe #1: Add bacon. Fry. Remove bacon.

Grey Mare, susieneddy, kinnb and 2 others like this.
  7. susieneddy

susieneddy Well-Known Member

We love our cast iron skillets and dutch ovens that we had them shipped down to Mexico. We have 2 cast iron skillets that belonged to our grandparents. They are still used to this day.

8. Grey Mare

Grey Mare Well-Known Member

love the bacon idea! Will have to use them more often then...thanks all!

9. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

Bacon to eat and bacon to season them.
    Get an old crusty skillet, clean it via electrolysis or self clean oven ,whatever and put it on the stove and throw in a slab of bacon. Fat to a cast iron pan is the fruit of the gods.

Grey Mare likes this.
  10. muleskinner2

muleskinner2 Well-Known Member

Years ago I was visiting a old rancher friend of mine. As I walked across his porch I noticed an old dutch oven next to the door full of dry dog food. I mentioned what I thought about rich ranchers feeding there dogs in dutch ovens. Over lunch he told me the story of that particular oven.

In the late 1800's his great uncle had been a chuck wagon cook on a ranch in Wyoming. When he died my friends father ended up with the oven. The family cooked with it for over sixty years. When his dad died, my friend ended up with the oven. His family used the oven for about thirty years, until his wife wanted new modern cookware. Since the late 1990's his dogs had been eating out of the old oven.

After lunch we were setting around talking when my friend excused himself to go use the outhouse. When he got back we talked for another hour or so, then I got up to leave. The old man walked me to my truck. As we stood at the truck talking he looked over into the bed of the truck and said ,"I had to hunt up the lid, if your wife don't like it bring it back. My dogs can always use it."

That 12" dutch oven with the original lid was sitting in the bed of my truck. Today it is sitting in my oven, made corn bread in it yesterday. Every time I use that old oven I think about chuck wagons, and dry dog food.

Muleskinner1

GTX63 and Grey Mare like this.