Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure where to post this question, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum....
I am being offered some cast iron skillets but I've never heard the name before, so I'm hoping to get some insight on them before I commit to buy.
3 - 12" fry pans and 1 - 9" pan for $35. I would normally jump at this. But she said 2 are Kirby and 2 are much older. They have been kept in storage, no rust or cracks. I live in Baltimore City, so trying to find "homesteading" items is extremely hard for me, especially with a tight income. Has anyone heard of Kirby and if so, are they a good pan? Would you buy them?
Thanks in advance!

·
Household Six
290 Posts
I'd get them! Don't know Kirby from Adam, but if some are "older" then they are most likely worth the effort to clean/season/reseason. My oldest cast iron skillet is a little over 20 years old, and it is superior to the more recent ones (well, almost two decades of almost-continuous use helps also), and my mom has a couple skillets older than I am that she refuses to pass on just yet. In all seriousness, cast iron skillets just get better with use. If all else fails, they still make excellent home-defense items. ;-)

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
I wasn't sure where to post this question, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum....
I am being offered some cast iron skillets but I've never heard the name before, so I'm hoping to get some insight on them before I commit to buy.
3 - 12" fry pans and 1 - 9" pan for $35. I would normally jump at this. But she said 2 are Kirby and 2 are much older. They have been kept in storage, no rust or cracks. I live in Baltimore City, so trying to find "homesteading" items is extremely hard for me, especially with a tight income. Has anyone heard of Kirby and if so, are they a good pan? Would you buy them?
Thanks in advance!
Check post 15 in this old thread.

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/general-homesteading-forums/countryside-families/305705-cast-iron-cookware.html

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks gang! I told her I'd take them, and I got her down to $30 for all 4! I pick them up friday, so I'll post a pic. Thanks again for the help!

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,913 Posts
I think you will be happy with them. Mine came from grandma's estate, they don't have a brand marked on them, but they have been used so much the handles are worn smooth. How many years of use must they have seen, for friction from human skin or a hotpad/towel to smooth the metal?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks in advance!
Heck yes....

I bought 4 cast skillets at an antique show earlier this year.....8 bucks for 4...well worth it.

stay away from any cast iron from china...(old stuff will be USA made)...Chinese made junk should have a "made in china" note on the bottom....the composition of the iron itself is subpar from China.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So sorry for the extreme delay...I did get the cast iron and they don't look like they need too much work. I am up to 7 skillets (hubby found 3 we weren't aware of) that need to be redone. I tried to redo the 3 hubby found, but I don't think I did it right. Food is sticking to them and maybe I misunderstood the following statement: Cast iron heats evenly...to me that means that food should not be burning in the center of the pans, granted that the hear source is centered there...I know, blond moment! Lol!
So back to the drawing board. I really want to get them done right so I can say good bye to the non stick, metallic pans that are peeling.
Thanks again for all the input!! :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,752 Posts
You did well. Wouldn't be surprised if any one of them is worth what you paid for all of them. Clean em up and reseason them and good to go. As for burning/sticking, a little more seasoning and then use a lower heat setting on the stove. CI holds and transfers heat better so not so much heat is needed, in my experience.l

After cleaning, I use lard for seasoning, thin coat all over and then into oven at about 350 for an hour, turn off the oven and let cool inside the oven gradually, light coat after washup/dry on heat and heat on stove top until it starts smoking a bit.

Reactions: Sawmill Jim
1 - 11 of 11 Posts