cast iron griddle

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by gobug, Feb 25, 2004.

1. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

A few years back I bought a Griswald cast iron griddle. Its a large griddle, about 18" x 30". It has a crack that goes from the side in nearly half way now. How can this be repaired?

2. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Don't believe it can be. At least I've never heard of a process.
    BW

3. I think cast iron can be brazed or TIG welded. You need to stop the crack from growing by drilling a hole at the end of the crack before you try and heat it. You then heat the pan with a torch and fuse the crack with brazing rod. I don’t know which “type” of rod would be best for the pan. You might want to bring the piece to a professional welder and have them fix it. The pan should be functional again but I don’t know if it is really worth the cost, unless the pan has some sentimental value. Lodge makes a variety of cast iron pans and they are cheap.

4. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Cast iron can be welded with special cast iron welding rod. It needs to be done by someone who knows how. The whole griddle has to be real hot before starting. Take it to a blacksmith or old fashioned welding shop. DH used to do this. Sometimes he still lost the item.
    lacyj

5. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

It's probably going to cost more to repair that griddle than it will be to get a new one, or even one from a garage sale or thrift shop.

6. If you take it to a professional welding shop it probably wouldn't be worth the money to have it fixed. However if you happen to have a friend or just know somebody that would do for extra cheap then it maybe worth the repair bill. It can be repaired.

7. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

First off you have a Griswold which cannot be replaced as it is old and the company is long gone. To repair it so it is useable might cost a few bucks but I'm sure it's worth it. Inquire at large truck repair shops or search for someone that repairs cast iron engine blocks. this is usually only cost effecient on large diesel engines. The process requires the heating up of the piece, welding, and then the slow cool down process. The welding actually takes place in an oven which is then packed and seled and allowed to cool down very slowly. If you heat cast iron for a repair and allow it to cool too quickly it will crack.

8. How bad is the crack, is it an open crack or just a stress crack a few of my skillets are cracked and have been for years, with no problems

9. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

The crack has grown to 9 inches. I didn't even notice the crack when I bought it. You can see it and feel it with a fingernail. The griddle is 30" x 15". It has "Griswold" and "Erie" followed by "No. 11" and the number "2434" beneath that.

I think I will look for a local blacksmith to do the repair. I want to save it. Based on the responses I think the crack will continue to grow because it is a large griddle and heating/cooling forces across the surface must be unequal. I guess I better not use it until I get it repaired. Thanks for all the help.